The best Gluten-Free Coffee Cake recipe has a thick layer of cinnamon streusel crumb topping drizzled with vanilla glaze. This homemade, easy recipe is made with sour cream for extra tender crumb and old fashioned taste!
Best Recipe for Gluten Free Coffee Cake!
This gluten-free New York-style coffee cake recipe comes from one of my all time favorite gluten free cooking and baking resources, America’s Test Kitchen: How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook.
It has a tender, buttery cake that maintains a moist crumb from sour cream being added to the batter. Adding an egg yolk to the thick cinnamon crumb topping prevents it from becoming dry and sandy, which most gluten-free coffee cake recipes suffer from.
To take this recipe to the next level, a vanilla glaze coats the streusel topping. Just like in gluten-free apple muffins recipe, the frosting holds the crumb topping in place for cutting and serving and transforms streusel pieces into decadent, sweet nuggets.
How to Make Gluten Free Coffee Cake
- First prepare the crumb topping by whisking together sugar, brown sugar, egg yolk, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the warm, melted butter and flour. Set aside.
- Next prepare the coffee cake batter by whisking together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the room temperature butter pieces and beat together until fine crumbs form.
- Mix in the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract. Spread in a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake in 325ºF preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- While the cake cools mix together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle on the warm coffee cake and let stand at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
note about Gluten-Free Flour
These are certain brands I find work the most consistently and have the best taste. They all contain xanthan gum, so it doesn’t need to be added to the dry ingredients. If you’d like to learn more about gluten-free flours and taste test comparisons, check out the Best Gluten-Free Flour Guide!
- Cup 4 Cup Gluten-Free Flour – This is the brand I primarily use because any gluten-free taste or difference in texture is undetectable. However, it is slightly more expensive and contains milk powder, so it is not dairy-free.
- King Arthur Measure-for-Measure Gluten-Free Flour – This version in newer on the market and has performed well in my baking tests. It’s more affordable, but I do detect a slightly gritty flavor in baked goods. However, it does not contain dairy.
If you are in need of a dairy-free recipe, this gluten-free crumb cake can easily be adapted. Replace the sour cream with a dairy-free sour cream.
Substitute dairy-free butter, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks. Since this butter is salted, omit the salt from the cake and crumb ingredients.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Store in an airtight container for up to three days. However, I find gluten-free baked goods don’t stay fresh very long, so I always freeze leftovers if they aren’t eaten that day.
Freeze whole and unsliced or wrapped up in individual pieces up to 3 months, wrapped well, or in an airtight container.
Refrigerating the coffee cake, especially gluten-free versions, will dry it out. Simply cover the pan securely with foil and leave on the counter 2-3 days.
Use an 8 inch square baking pan for this recipe. A 9 inch square pan, 11X7 inch rectangle pan, or 9 inch cake pan may also be used, but the baking time will be reduced. Start checking with a toothpick inserted into the middle after 35 minutes.
This recipe may also be doubled and baked in a 9X13 inch pan. Keep the crumb topping ingredients amounts the same for a thinner streusel layer or double, along with cake ingredients.
Yes. Use this recipe to make many different gluten-free coffee cake recipes! Try some of the suggested additions below.
Blueberry – Mix 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or mixed berries into the cake batter.
Walnut Crumb Cake – Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the crumb topping ingredients.
Apple Cinnamon– Toss 1 cup peeled, chopped apples with cinnamon. Sprinkle on cake batter, top with crumb topping, and bake. Since the apples add extra moisture, the baking time may increase slightly.
Follow Gluten–Free Cinnamon Bread recipe for a swirl quick bread with streusel topping!
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes
- Chocolate Pancakes
- Instant Pot Grits
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Almond Flour Pancakes
- Gluten-Free Banana Oat Waffles
SAVE THIS recipe Gluten-Free Coffee Cake TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Gluten-Free Coffee Cake
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose gluten-free flour, (I use and recommend Cup 4 Cup)
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose gluten-free flour, (I use and recommend Cup 4 Cup)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces and softened
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, brown sugar, egg yolk, cinnamon, and salt. Add melted, warm butter and whisk to combine.
- Stir in flour until no flour pockets remain and it becomes a thick dough. Set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to UPPER MIDDLE POSITION and preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 8X8 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt on low speed to combine. Add butter, a tablespoon at a time, and mix until crumbs form with no large pieces of butter visible.
- Add sour cream, whole egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until well combined and batter is light and fluffy.
- Spread cake batter evenly in prepared pan. Break crumb topping pieces off in pea-sized pieces and sprinkle evenly over batter. Use a knife to slightly swirl the crumb topping down into the cake. Use your hand to gently press the crumb topping on top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Use a toothpick inserted down into the cake to check if it comes out clean. Since the cake portion is far down, make sure you are testing the cake and not the crumb topping.
- Cool on wire rack and meanwhile prepare the glaze frosting. The glaze can be drizzled on while the cake is warm, but wait at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well until smooth and no lumps remain. If glaze is too thick for pouring on, add a tiny dash of milk and check again.
- Drizzle glaze over the crumb topping and let stand for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
- Replace the sour cream with dairy-free sour cream.
- Substitute dairy free butter, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for the butter.
- Since this dairy free butter is salted, omit the salt from the cake and crumb ingredients.
Storing / FreezingStore in an airtight container for up to three days. However, I find gluten-free baked goods don’t stay fresh very long, so I always freeze leftovers. It may be frozen whole and unsliced or wrapped up in individual pieces. Freeze up to 3 months, wrapped well, or in an airtight container. Refrigerating the coffee cake, especially gluten free versions, will dry it out. Simply cover the pan securely with foil and leave on the counter 2-3 days.
- Gluten Free Blueberry Coffee Cake – Mix 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or mixed berries into the cake batter.
- Walnut Crumb Cake – Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the crumb topping ingredients.
- Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake – Toss 1 cup peeled, chopped apples with cinnamon. Sprinkle on cake batter, top with crumb topping, and bake. Since the apples add extra moisture, the baking time may increase slightly.
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.