Look no further for delicious and easy gluten free muffin recipe! Fluffy Gluten Free Banana Muffins have that essential moist banana bread flavor baked into a light, airy bakery-style muffin.
The Best Gluten Free Muffins Recipe
Gluten free baking can lead to some disappointing results. No one enjoys wasting time and expensive ingredients on dense, gritty, crumbly, or gummy baked goods.
Adding ripe bananas to baked goods yields moist, delicious, and undetectably gluten free results. Bananas add moisture and hydrates the gluten free flour to eliminate a gritty texture.
Recipes like these banana muffins, fluffy banana cake, frosted banana bars, and flourless banana oat pancakes are highly requested recipes from both gluten free bakers and traditional bakers. The resounding stamp of approval happens when tasters have no idea they are enjoying gluten free goodies!
Not only do these homemade banana muffins resemble fluffy, bakery-style muffins, but they are quick and easy to throw together. No mixer or special equipment is required to make the 5 minute batter.
Simply mix dry and liquid ingredients together, pour into muffins cups, and bake for 20 minutes. Pull out a batch of warm, soft muffins in less than 30 minutes and enjoy banana muffin heaven!
Mix-Ins for Gluten Free Banana Bread Muffins
I use this banana bread muffin recipe to morph into so many variations and flavors. Keep it simple or add some of these suggested muffin mix-ins.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Add 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chips to the batter. Sprinkle tops with raw (turbinado) sugar and additional chocolate chips before baking.
- Banana Nut Muffins – Stir in 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts.
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins – Add 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter to the liquid ingredients. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped peanuts to batter and sprinkle additional nuts on top before baking.
- Banana Coconut Muffins – Use melted coconut oil in place of the canola oil. Add 1/2 cup shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut to the batter. Sprinkle tops with raw (turbinado) sugar and additional coconut before baking.
- Banana Blueberry Muffins – Add 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter.
- Cranberry Banana Muffins – Stir in 1/2 cup dried cranberries the muffin batter.
Toppings for Best Gluten Free Banana Bread Muffins
Add more pizzazz to made from scratch banana muffins by sprinkling on one of these toppings before baking!
- Sprinkle on turbinado sugar (also known as raw cane sugar) before baking.
- Streusel topping: Combine 1/4 cup quick oats, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle on muffin tops before baking.
- Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on before baking.
- Crumb topping: In a small bowl mix together 3 tablespoons flour, 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Use a fork to mix in 3 tablespoons softened butter. Sprinkle over muffin tops and bake.
Best Flour to Use in Homemade Gluten Free Muffins
To make banana muffins, use your preferred gluten free baking flour. Typically gluten free flour blends are substituted in a 1-to-1 ratio with any baking recipe.
Since there are so many brands on the market, I put together a guide on the best gluten free flour, comparing and testing the top brands. The guide is complete with pictures and more details on how they stack up.
I use and highly recommend Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour because the taste most mimics regular flour. Additionally, the included cornstarch produces fluffier results.
Please note, King Arthur has two different gluten free flours. The Measure-for-Measure contains xanthan gum and may be substituted in a 1-to-1 ratio. King Arthur All-Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour does not contain xanthan gum so it will have to be added.
Add about 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum per 1 cup of flour if your gluten free flour mix does not contain it. Whisk it into the dry ingredients before mixing with liquid.
If you are wanting a low carb, high protein banana muffin, try almond flour banana muffins recipe!
How to Make Dairy Free Muffins
Good news! Fluffy Gluten Free Banana Muffins, just like the best gluten free banana bread recipe, are already dairy free because they contain no milk or butter.
However, if you need to make dairy free and gluten free muffins, do not use Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour because it contains milk powder. Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur brands do not contain dairy.
How to Make Gluten Free Muffins Fluffy
Baking muffins at a higher temperature, such as 375 – 425 degrees fahrenheit promotes a fluffier muffin. A higher temperature produces a quicker rise and a more domed top.
However, baking muffins the whole time at 400 – 425ºF could increase the likelihood of burning the bottoms. For a volcanic domed top, start off with a higher temperature for 5 minutes. Then, decrease temperature to 350ºF for the remaining baking time.
For simplicity, gluten free banana muffins bake the entire time at 375ºF. The tops are domed and texture is light and fluffy without having to worry about adjusting oven temperature.
A combination of baking soda and baking powder also produces a higher rise. A teaspoon of each counteracts any potential density or gumminess in gluten free muffins.
How to Make Easy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- First, whisk together all the dry ingredients – gluten free flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Next, use a separate bowl to whisk together liquid ingredients – mashed bananas, egg, vanilla extract, and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until all the flour is combined and batter is moistened.
- Divide the batter between muffin cups. To quickly and evenly portion out muffins use a trigger ice cream scoop. It is the perfect size with no mess!
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, checking to see if a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
How to Freeze and Store Muffins
Muffins don’t stick around long at our house, so I often make a few batches at a time to freeze.
Make sure the muffins have completely cooled before freezing. If the muffins are warm they will create condensation and ice crystals will form. This leaves baked goods soggy and alters the texture upon thawing.
If you plan on freezing the muffins longer than 4 weeks, I recommend wrapping each muffin in plastic wrap and storing them in a ziplock freezer bag.
If you plan on enjoying them more quickly, cool the muffins and transfer in a single layer to a freezer safe ziplock bag. Lay the bag flat so the muffins do not become misshapen before freezing completely.
Muffins may also be stored at room temperature in an airtight container up to 3 days. Refrigeration is not recommended because it will dry them out.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Easy Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
- Creamy Grits
- Almond Flour Muffins
- Easy Applesauce Muffins
SAVE THESE Fluffy Gluten Free Banana Muffins TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Fluffy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- 1 ⅔ cups gluten free all purpose flour, I use and recommend Cup 4 Cup brand
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup canola oil (or substitute coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Lightly grease 12 muffin tin cups or line with muffin papers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together gluten free flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together mashed bananas, egg, oil, and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Gently mix in any desired mix-ins, such as chocolate chips, nuts, dried cranberries, or blueberries (see recipe notes).
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. To do this quickly, cleanly, and evenly I use an ice cream scoop. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in muffin tins for 5 minutes then remove to a wire racks to cool completely.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins - Add 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chips to the batter. Sprinkle tops with raw (turbinado) sugar and additional chocolate chips before baking.
- Banana Nut Muffins - Stir in 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts.
- Peanut Butter Banana Muffins - Add 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter to the liquid ingredients. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped peanuts to batter and sprinkle additional nuts on top before baking.
- Banana Coconut Muffins - Use melted coconut oil in place of the canola oil. Add 1/2 cup shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut to the batter. Sprinkle tops with raw (turbinado) sugar and additional coconut before baking.
- Banana Blueberry Muffins - Add 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter.
- Cranberry Banana Muffins - Stir in 1/2 cup dried cranberries the muffin batter.
❊SHOP THE RECIPE❊
Items used to make this recipe*: