Gluten Free Cinnamon Bread recipe is quick and easy way to get a cinnamon roll fix without the effort! This gluten free cinnamon swirl quick bread takes minutes to throw together, even with a sweet crumble topping and gooey vanilla glaze!
The only speciality ingredients required to make this quick gluten free cinnamon bread are gluten free flour and buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, or need a gluten free dairy free recipe, use the adaptations included in the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
- Oil – Use vegetable, canola, or melted coconut oil
- Granulated sugar
- Gluten free all purpose flour – I use and recommend Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Buttermilk – See Frequently Asked Questions for dairy free adaptation
- Vanilla extract
- Butter – For streusel topping
- Powdered sugar – For glaze frosting
- Milk – For glaze frosting
How to make Gluten-free cinnamon bread recipe
To make this cinnamon swirl bread recipe, just dump the ingredients in a bowl, stir, swirl, and bake!
Make a simple streusel topping by adding a touch of softened butter and flour to the cinnamon / sugar mixture. If desired, you can also drizzle on an easy glaze frosting after the bread has cooled.
- First, begin by preheating the oven to 350ºF. For best results, line a 8X4 bread pan with an oversized piece of parchment paper. This helps you lift the bread out of the pan to cool, while keeping the streusel topping in place.
- Next, in a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and oil. In a large bowl whisk together the gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together cinnamon and sugar in another small bowl and set aside.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed and no flour pockets remain.
- Layer half the cinnamon bread batter on the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with half the cinnamon sugar mixture. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon into the batter.
- Top the cinnamon sugar layer with the remaining quick bread batter.
- For the streusel topping, add a teaspoon of flour and 1/2 tablespoon softened butter to the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Use a fork to combine thoroughly. Sprinkle the crumbles on top of the bread. Use a knife to swirl in gently.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted in the middle comes out without wet dough.
- Lastly, cool in the pan for 10 minutes and use the parchment paper to lift the bread out onto a cooling rack. After cooling, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract for the glaze frosting and drizzle on top.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I add raisins?
To make gluten free cinnamon raisin bread recipe stir in 1/2 cup raisins into the bread dough before layering in the pan with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Can this recipe be made dairy free?
If you are looking for a gluten free dairy free cinnamon bread, you can adapt this recipe with a simple adjustment.
Instead of buttermilk add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Add enough non-dairy milk, such as almond milk, to reach the 1 cup mark. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Proceed with recipe as written.
For the streusel topping, you have two choices. Either omit the butter and flour and simply sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top, or substitute solidified coconut oil or vegan butter in the streusel topping.
What is the best gluten free flour to use?
Unfortunately, not all gluten free all purpose flours are created equal. While different brands perform well in different types of recipes, I find Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour performs the best when baking gluten free breads.
To read more about how gluten free flours compare and find the best one for you, check out my best gluten free flour article.
do I have to use buttermilk?
No, regular milk may be substituted, but you will lose a bit of moisture and tangy flavor. If you don’t have any on hand you can do a quick buttermilk substitution.
Add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk, preferably at least 2%, to reach the 1 cup mark. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
what size bread pan should i use?
Using an 8X4 bread pan makes a nice domed top with a lofty, moist bread underneath. If you only have a 9X5 loaf pan, that may also be used, but reduce the baking time by 5 minutes.
do i have to line the pan with parchment?
No. You may simply grease the bread pan with cooking spray. However, when turning the bread out of the pan onto the cooling rack, you will lose some of the cinnamon streusel topping.
Parchment paper aids in lifting the bread out of the pan to cool, rather than turning it over onto the rack.
How do I know when the bread is done baking?
Baking with gluten free flour means baked goods take slightly longer to bake. Moisture takes longer to evaporate, so even if it looks done from the outside, it may still be undercooked inside.
I like to use something a little larger than a toothpick to check if the bread is done, like a butter knife or thicker cake tester to make sure the dough isn’t sticky inside.
how to store
Gluten free cinnamon bread is best enjoyed within 1-2 days of baking. To store longer, cool the bread completely, slice, and then transfer to an airtight freezer bag up to 3 months.
Pull the slices from the freezer as needed, thawing at room temperature or quickly defrost in the microwave.
More sweet and savory recipes!
If you are a fan of gluten free bread recipes, but want a bread that requires no kneading, rising, or yeast, then quick breads are for you! More easy recipes, like this gluten free cinnamon streusel bread, are included below!
- Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Bread
- Almond Flour Zucchini Bread
- Gluten Free Blueberry Scones
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Glaze
SAVE THIS gluten free cinnamon bread recipe to your pinterest board
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Bread
Gluten Free Cinnamon Bread
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour, (I recommend Cup 4 Cup brand)
- 1 ⅓ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see recipe notes for dairy free adaptation)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- ½ tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon gluten free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. For best results, line a 8X4 bread pan with an oversized piece of parchment paper. This helps you lift the bread out of the pan to cool, while keeping the streusel topping in place. Otherwise, grease the loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla. Stir together cinnamon and remaining ⅓ cup sugar in another small bowl and set aside.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just mixed and no flour pockets remain. Layer half the dough on the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar mixture. Reserve the rest for the streusel topping. Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon into the batter. Top the cinnamon sugar layer with the remaining bread dough.
- To make the streusel topping, add the softened butter and 1 tsp. flour to the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture. Use a fork to combine the butter in thoroughly. Sprinkle the crumbles on top of the bread. Use a knife to swirl in gently.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, or until a butter knife inserted in the middle comes out without wet dough. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then use the parchment paper to lift the bread out onto a cooling rack. Pull down the parchment to allow air to circulate around the bread.
- After cooling, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract for the glaze frosting and drizzle over the top. Allow the glaze to harden slightly before slicing.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD