Take a light, pillowy cake to the next level with the 25 best angel food cake toppings and frostings. Here you will find unique toppings, along with icings, ideas for leftover angel cake, and alternative flavors.
Toppings to serve with Angel Food Cake
The beauty of angel cake is the golden chewy edges, airy, light crumb, and sweet neutral taste. For this reason, there are a number of toppings, syrups, and creams to pair perfectly with it!
Although delicious, there are plenty of options beyond a fruit topping for angel food cake. Choose a favorite flavor or make your own unique combination.
If you are making a gluten-free angel food cake, be sure to pick toppings that are safe for a gluten-free diet and read labels carefully.
- Fresh berries, like raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries
- Fruit sauces – blueberry Syrup, cherry, raspberry, blackberry, or strawberry sauce
- Pineapple topping
- Homemade whipped cream or Cool Whip
- Lemon Curd
- Candied Nuts
- Powdered sugar
- Crushed Biscoff cookies
- Chocolate sauce
- Banana filling
- Marshmallow fluff
- Nutella, slightly warmed
- Toffee bits
- Peanut butter cups, chopped
- Crushed Oreo cookies
- Caramel sauce or salted caramel
angel food cake icings and frostings
Of course, this light, delicate cake is perfect on its own, dusted with powdered sugar, or one of the angel food toppings listed above. However, for a more decadent dessert, spread on the best angel food cake icing.
Leave the cake whole and spread all over, or slice in half horizontally to make an angel layer cake. Fresh fruit layered in between also makes a lovely, delicious touch.
For another creative idea, make a “tunnel cake” by cutting a deep tunnel in the middle and filling with pudding, toppings, or one of the frostings listed below.
- Chocolate whipped cream frosting
- Chocolate ganache
- Whipped buttercream
- 7 Minute Frosting (or boiled frosting)
- Peanut butter glaze
- Lemon Buttercream
- Vanilla, chocolate, or lemon glaze
what to do with leftover angel food cake
There are plenty of ways to enjoy angel food cake or to turn leftover angel food cake into another decadent treat!
- Slice and toast, spread with jam
- Use for strawberry shortcake instead of biscuits
- Angel food cake french toast
- Make the ultimate peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Churro bites – toss with butter, cinnamon, and sugar
- Layer with fruit, pudding, and whipped cream to make a trifle
- Ice cream sundae with old fashioned hot fudge sauce
- Top with chocolate mousse
- Make a parfait with pudding, berries, and whipped cream
- Use for baked Alaska or a cookies and cream ice cream cake
alternative angel food cake flavors
Pick a cake to celebrate the season or choose your favorite flavor! These cakes have that signature fluffy texture, enhanced with a hard-to-resist taste. Some of the recipes are made with homemade ingredients, while others start with an angel food cake mix.
- Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake
- Pumpkin Angel Food Cake
- Orange Dream Angel Food Cake
- Pina Colada
What is the best way to store angel food cake?
Once the cake has fulled cooled, wrap it securely in plastic wrap and leave at room temperature up to 3 days. It may be refrigerated up to a week or frozen up to 3 months. Be sure the cake is wrapped well to protect it from any unsavory smells penetrating.
SAVE these angel cake toppings TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.