Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting is light and fluffy, yet sturdy and stabilized enough to pipe on cupcakes or cakes. This easy dark frosting pairs perfectly with virtually any flavor of cake, such as angel food, white, chocolate, or banana cake.
I have this little problem with just letting recipes be. I make something, eat it, and subsequently dream up all the ways I can make it even better next time.
This is why food is so great! There are infinite possibilities of how recipes can be adapted, changed, and elevated. So maybe it isn’t a problem as much as an obsessive hobby of mine.
Hence, the food blog.
Recently Nolan, my oldest son, turned 9 and in our family we contemplate what kind of cake we’d like as much as what presents we hope to receive.
After careful consideration Nolan chose my Fluffy Banana Cake with Banana Filling. I had absolutely no reservations with eating it again, but of course I couldn’t just make it the same as last time.
I decided to take it to the next level with Dark Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting recipe.
Frosting is never an afterthought when I bake cakes. I seriously mull over buttercream (butter or shortening!), whipped cream, swiss meringue, italian meringue, seven-minute, marshmallow buttercream, cream cheese, ganache, or a glaze.
Multiply that by all the different infused flavors, and I enter the world of overthinking.
I’ll spare you my highly-rationalized thought process on this Banana Cake, and just leave it as Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting being the clear winner.
Stabilized WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING Ingredients
The key to sturdy whipped cream frosting is using a pinch of cream of tartar and whipping the heavy cream well. The confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, and milk combine together to add the chocolate flavoring.
- powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder – use natural or dutch processed for a darker chocolate flavor
- cream of tartar
- heavy whipping cream
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
- First mix together the unsweetened cocoa, powdered sugar, cream of tartar, and milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Add the heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread frosting on layer cakes, cupcakes, or sheet cakes. Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting is also stable and stabilized enough to use for piping or decorating.
Can I use this whipped cream frosting recipe for piping?
Yes! Whether you want to pipe frosting onto cupcakes or decorate a cake, this chocolate whipped frosting holds up great for days. Just be sure to refrigerate any leftover cakes or cupcakes for the frosting to stay fresh and maintain its shape.
More of the Best Chocolate Recipes to Love!
SAVE THIS Best CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch cream of tarter
- 2 cups whipping cream, well chilled
- Sift together (see recipe notes) powder sugar, unsweetened cocoa, and cream of tarter into a large bowl. Stir in milk until well incorporated. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until well chilled.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, gradually beat whipping cream into chocolate mixtures, scraping down bowl to make sure all chocolate is mixed in. Continue mixing on high until very stiff peaks form. Makes 5 cups.