Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting is light and fluffy, yet sturdy and stabilized enough to pipe on cupcakes or cakes. This dark frosting pairs perfectly with virtually any flavor of cake, such as angel food, white, chocolate, or the delicious banana cake pictured below.
I have this little problem with just letting recipes be. I make something, eat it, and subsequently dream up all the ways I can make it even better next time.
This is why food is so great! There are infinite possibilities of how recipes can be adapted, changed, and elevated. So maybe it isn’t a problem as much as an obsessive hobby of mine.
Hence, the food blog.
Recently Nolan, my oldest son, turned 9 and in our family we contemplate what kind of cake we’d like as much as what presents we hope to receive.
After careful consideration Nolan chose my Fluffy Banana Cake with Banana Filling. I had absolutely no reservations with eating it again, but of course I couldn’t just make it the same as last time.
I decided to take it to the next level with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting.
Frosting is never an afterthought when I bake cakes. I seriously mull over buttercream (butter or shortening!), whipped cream, swiss meringue, italian meringue, seven-minute, marshmallow buttercream, cream cheese, ganache, or a glaze.
Multiply that by all the different infused flavors, and I enter the world of overthinking.
I’ll spare you my highly-rationalized thought process on this Banana Cake, and just leave it as Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting being the clear winner.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
- First mix together the unsweetened cocoa, powdered sugar, cream of tarter, and milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Add the heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread frosting on layer cakes, cupcakes, or sheet cakes. Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting is also stable and stabilized enough to use for piping or decorating.
SAVE THIS CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch cream of tarter
- 2 cups whipping cream, well chilled
- Sift together (see recipe notes) powder sugar, unsweetened cocoa, and cream of tarter into a large bowl. Stir in milk until well incorporated. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until well chilled.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, gradually beat whipping cream into chocolate mixtures, scraping down bowl to make sure all chocolate is mixed in. Continue mixing on high until very stiff peaks form. Makes 5 cups.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
OTHER RECIPES TO LOVE: