Find the best cheesecake topping ideas all in one complete resource! You will find everything from the easy toppings to serve with cheesecake to unique and gourmet sauces perfect for holidays and company!
Best cheesecake toppings
Cool and creamy cheesecake with buttery graham cracker crust always delivers. It’s hard to resist the tangy sweetness of cream cheese filling topped with everything from fruit sauce, candy bars, melted chocolate, fresh fruit slices to a simple dollop of whipped cream.
Whether serving your favorite cheesecake recipe, gluten-free cheesecake, no-bake cheesecake, a holiday favorite, like pumpkin cheesecake with pecan crust, or jazzing up a store-bought frozen dessert, it’s hard to choose a favorite cheesecake topping.
Below are not only the best toppings for cheesecake, but classics that don’t require any effort. They compliment the smooth texture and flavor, making every bite irresistible!
- Reese’s peanut butter cups
- Fresh fruit or berries, like raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches
- Chopped candy bars, like Snickers, Heath, Butterfingers
- Whipped cream or Cool Whip, dolloped on or decoratively placed with a piping bag
- Chocolate shavings
- Oreo cookies, crushed
- Canned pie filling, like cherry pie filling or apple pie filling
- Fruit jam, slightly warmed
- Chocolate chips
- Chocolate syrup
- Fruit sauces, like strawberry syrup or raspberry sauce
- Toffee bits
Unique and gourmet toppings
Cheesecake factory has nothing on these gourmet cheesecake toppings. Most are ready-made and don’t require any extra effort! They would make great additions to a cheesecake bar or add an unique flavor twist.
- Crushed Biscoff cookies
- Banana curd filling
- Marshmallow fluff
- Nutella, slightly warmed
- Cookie butter
- Edible cookie dough
- Lemon curd
- Chocolate-dipped strawberries
- Fried apples
- Grilled fruit, like pineapple, nectarines or peaches
Easy cheesecake sauces
Much like angel food cake toppings, there are variety of sauces to smother on sliced cheesecake. For easy fruit cheesecake toppings, look to store-bought ice cream toppings or canned pie fillings.
Also, many jellies and jams can be turned into a sauce by warming slightly and pouring on.
If you are preparing a homemade fruit sauce or compote, cool to room temperature and chill separately from the cheesecake. Drizzle over before serving.
- Peanut butter sauce
- Hot fudge
- Blueberry compote
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate syrup
- Pineapple topping
- Raspberry sauce
pro tips for serving toppings with cheesecake
- It’s hard to choose which cheesecake topping is best, so why stop at one? Set up a cheesecake toppings bar and guests can choose their favorites or make combinations.
- Store the cheesecake separate from the toppings until ready to serve.
- When serving warm toppings, such as salted caramel sauce or hot fudge, let it cool slightly before drizzling on.
- If fruit sauces are too thin, mix together 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and stir into the simmering sauce until thickened.
- To cut the sweetness of a fruit sauce or compote, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Homemade whipped cream will stay stable, refrigerated, up to 1 day.
faqs about cheesecake
There are practically as many types of cheesecake as toppings! Choose from New York-style, Italian cheesecake with ricotta, sour cream, no-bake, Basque, Japanese, mini cheesecakes, and not to mention endless flavors, like pumpkin, chocolate, key lime and more!
Cheesecake can sit out 2-4 hours, depending on the temperature of the room.
Cover and refrigerate homemade or store-bought cheesecake up to 4 days. To maintain the best flavor, make sure it is well wrapped or covered in an airtight container.
Yes, cheesecake may be frozen up to 2 months. For best results, place the cheesecake on a baking tray and freeze until solid. Remove and wrap securely with plastic wrap, then a layer of foil. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
more cheesecake topping ideas
SAVE these cheesecake toppings TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.