Looking for the best gluten free pie recipes? Here you will find gluten free pies to fit any taste and occasion – from creamy holiday pies, to fruity fresh, or savory pastries for breakfast or dinner.
Pair it with one of the easy gluten free pie crusts below for the ultimate gluten free baking resource all in one place!
Types of gluten free pie crust
Before diving into the best gluten free pie, you need to start with the perfect dough recipe. Luckily, you have options! Choose from a traditional homemade pastry, or one of the alternative options, including grain free, low carb, dairy free, or quick and easy press-in crusts.
- Gluten Free Pie Crust – This flaky, tender gluten free pie crust recipe handles just as pie crust should and is fabulously easy to roll out.
- Almond Flour Crust – A recipe for sweet or savory gluten free and grain free pie crust. Simply mix together a handful of ingredients and press into a dish for a dairy free, low carb crust in minutes!
- Chex Pie Crust – Use Chex cereal to whip up an easy, quick, press-in pie crust that tastes amazing! Chex Pie Crust recipe makes a buttery, crispy, gluten free alternative to pastry or graham cracker crusts.
- Pecan Nut Crust – A nut pie crust made from pecans, almonds, or walnuts couldn’t be easier or more delicious! Pecan crust recipe comes together in minutes and makes the perfect pie crust for pumpkin, no bake, or cheesecake fillings.
What is the best gluten free pie crust recipe?
For the longest time I abstained from making homemade gluten free pies. All the crust recipes were hard to work with and tasted, well, like you know what. It was disappointing and disheartening.
Finally I found a recipe to bring me back into the world of delicious homemade pie! Gluten free pie crust recipe is not only super easy to work with, but tastes so good, no one realizes it’s gluten free! I fully stand behind it, and here are some words for other very satisfied bakers!
“I have tried a lot of GF pie crust recipes..this is by far the best one ever. Easy and a wonderful flavor.”
“Thank you! Thank you! FINALLY a gluten free pie crust that handles and tastes like the a good old fashioned pie crust. For the first time in YEARS my Thanksgiving pies were absolutely perfect!”
“The baked pie crust was one of the best I’ve ever made and I’m serious about pastry. Thanks for rescuing me from a pieless future.”
“I am not an experienced baker. This recipe has always turned out perfectly.”
What is the best GLUTEN FREE flour to use?
I’ve tested the best gluten free pie crust recipe with various gluten free flours to find out definitively which one works best. Unfortunately, not all gluten free flours are created equal, and different combinations of starches means vastly different results.
Using the different flours to bake the pie dough yielded different results in term of taste, flakiness, and grittiness. Overwhelmingly,Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour performed the best, but you can see all the results and pictures on the Ultimate Guide to Best Gluten Free Flour.
Freezing pastry: If you need to make your pie in advance, all of these gluten free pie crusts may be frozen. Once the traditional gluten free dough has been mixed together, wrap securely in plastic wrap and freeze the disc until ready to roll out.
Alternatively, roll and place crust in a pie dish and freeze the shell until ready for your favorite gluten free filling. Just be sure it’s wrapped securely to protect it from ice crystals forming.
The almond flour, Chex, and pecan nut pie crusts may also be frozen after baking and cooling completely.
Freezing Filled Pies: This depends on the type of filling in the pie. Baked or unbaked pumpkin, fruit, chess, and chiffon pies freeze well. If unbaked, they can be baked from frozen, but be sure to protect the crust with a pie shield since it will take significantly longer.
Custard and meringue pies do not freeze as well. The dairy can break down and separate during freezing, and meringue is tricky to cover since it sticks.
Best Gluten free pie recipes
Now that you have the perfect crust, you’ll need a gluten free filling to make your pie dreams come true. Below are recipes for various types of gluten free pie, such as fruit filled, creamy, savory, no bake, and custard.
Fruit pie recipes
- Fresh Blueberry – Fresh blueberries over a creamy layer of sweet buttermilk custard filling.
- Concord Grape – Learn how to make the best Concord Grape Pie with an easy-to-follow, family recipe.
- Homemade Cherry – Made with tart (sour) cherries that are cooked on the stovetop. No canned pie filling here!
- Dutch Apple – A sweet and cinnamon-spiced apple pie baked in a gluten-free snickerdoodle cookie crust. This is an amazing combo of snickerdoodles, apple crisp and apple pie!
- Peach Amaretti – You would never know that this luscious Peach Amaretti pie is gluten free. Use peaches or nectarines for an amazing dessert!
- Sugar Cream – A gloriously thick, creamy, vanilla custard, sprinkled with a dusting of cinnamon, and made with a handful of simple ingredients and easy steps.
- Chocolate Chess – A classic southern dessert with a fudgy, rich chocolate flavored custard in a flaky buttery crust.
- Sweet Potato – Silky-smooth bourbon-orange sweet potato pie is a unique take on the classic dessert. Dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and grain-free, this healthier dessert is vegan and almost paleo!
- Maple Cream Pie – Similar to coconut cream pie or chocolate cream pie but is made with a simple, homemade maple pudding. It’s a delicious New England twist on cream pies.
- Pecan Pie – A tender, flakey crust with a perfectly sweetened, easy caramel custard filling that is soft and gooey but sets up nicely!
No Bake Pies
- Frozen Lemon Meringue – Dive into an icebox Lemon Meringue Pie with a salty sweet almond crust, creamy citrus center, and billowed high with toasted meringue topping.
- Strawberry Cheesecake – A creamy no bake cheesecake in graham cracker crust, topped with fresh strawberries, and a glossy gelatin glaze.
- Snickers Apple Pie – A caramel apple filling layered with chewy nougat, and chocolate peanut butter topping held in an easy, press-in peanut pie crust.
- Triple Chocolate Cream Pie – A crunchy, chocolate cookie crust, thick chocolate pudding, and a light chocolate mousse is an easy, no-bake pie that is perfect for a non-traditional Thanksgiving dessert.
- No Bake Tartlets – Made with fresh or frozen Blueberries are Dairy-Free, Eggless, Vegan and Gluten-Free friendly – and taste absolutely delicious!
- Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie – Combines a creamy filling, full of veggies and tender chicken, covered with a flaky gluten free crust that is easy to make!
- Veggie Tart – A filling, vegetarian spinach and feta tart recipe perfect for brunch, an appetizer, weeknight dinner, or holiday side dish.
- Potato Crusted Quiche – A savory breakfast, brunch or dinner recipe is easy to make and extremely versatile by adding a variety of vegetables, meats, or cheeses.
- Shepherd’s Pie – Packed with tasty ingredients, including a delicious blend of ground beef, onion, and hard-boiled eggs, has a sweet and delicious top layer of corn mixture.
- Mediterranean Quiche – Light and savory, with a gluten-free almond flour crust, and topped with olives, sun-dried tomatoes and feta.
- Quiche Lorraine – A savory tofu filling with mushrooms, kale and tomatoes baked in an easy homemade gluten-free crust. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
- Cauliflower and Cheese – A crispy potato crust is filled with all the comfort food goodness of cauliflower and cheese, making this the perfect pie for a chilly evening.
SAVE THE Best GLUTEN FREE PIES TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.