Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks make an easy, hands off side dish to compliment any meal! Buttery roasted cabbage slices are baked till golden brown with crispy edges.
I don’t know about you, but I have a tendency to get in a side dish rut. We need a switch up from the heavy carbs, like rice, potatoes, and pasta. It’s time to expand our repertoire!
Roasted cabbage makes a comforting side dish that shouldn’t only accompany corned beef! I serve baked cabbage with pork chops, chicken dishes, and beef.
If you are a fan of brussels sprouts, or are looking for a milder tasting alternative, give oven roasted cabbage steaks a try!
You will love how hands off this dish is. Simply slice the cabbage, brush on melted butter, season with salt and pepper, and bake until golden, caramelized, and crispy.
You wouldn’t guess baked roasted cabbage recipe is a healthy, low carb (and keto!) side dish by its rich, buttery taste. Baking cabbage until tender removes any strong flavor, so even the kids eat this dish with gusto.
You won’t be able to stop picking at those buttery crispy edges. Serve promptly so your dinner companions don’t miss out on the best part of roasted cabbage!
If you love cabbage, or generally turn your nose up at it, please give this recipe a try. It will transform you into a cabbage believer!
How to Cut Cabbage Steaks
The first step is slicing the head of cabbage. Aim for about 1/2″ slices. Thick slices will not become tender and golden. Too thin of a slice will burn.
To fit the cabbage in a single layer on one rimmed baking sheet, you may have too slice some of the cabbage steaks in half. If you prefer to keep them whole, divide the slices between two baking sheets.
It’s a matter of preference of baking the edges pieces or not. I usually just throw them on there because there are a lot of mouths to feed and I abhor throwing away food!
Can I Use Cabbage Wedges Instead?
I’ve tested this recipe using cabbage steaks and cabbage wedges. Cabbage steaks won out because they bake more evenly and become tender faster.
However, you can still prepare this recipe using cabbage wedges instead. I recommend lowering the oven temperature to 375º and baking at least 20 minutes per side.
If the cabbage is undercooked it will have a stronger flavor and be difficult to cut.
For chopped or shredded roasted cabbage, this cabbage and onions recipe is tasty option.
What type of Cabbage Can I Use?
A couple types of cabbage may be substituted for the green cabbage.
When baking or roasting cabbage, choose a variety that is hearty enough to hold up under the high heat. Red cabbage, savoy, or green cabbage work well for this.
Using Napa cabbage isn’t recommended because it is so tender almost like lettuce.
About this Recipe
Baked cabbage couldn’t be easier to make! It requires a short 5 minute prep time, but the roasting is hands off so your free to work on other dinner components.
- Cabbage – Use either green, red, or savoy cabbage variety.
- Butter – I prefer using butter rather than olive oil because the cabbage takes on more flavor.
- Kosher salt – To substitute table salt, cut the amount in half
- Ground pepper
How Long to in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 425ºF and bake cabbage for about 35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
I like to roast the cabbage longer, about 20 minutes, on the first side before flipping to make the exterior caramelized. Flip and finish baking for approximately 15 minutes longer.
Can Cooked Cabbage Be Frozen?
Yes. If you need to make a large batch of roasted cabbage steaks or have leftovers to store, cabbage may be frozen.
Thaw frozen cabbage overnight in the refrigerator. Rewarm in the microwave or gently roast again on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes.
Roasted Cabbage Slices Variations
If you want to add a little pizazz to those cabbage steaks, try one of these yummy variations!
Cabbage Steaks with Cheese
After the roasted cabbage comes out of the oven sprinkle on gorgonzola cheese, blue cheese, or freshly grated parmesan. Return to the oven for 1 minute to melt.
Cabbage Steaks with Bacon
Sprinkle cooked cabbage with crispy chopped bacon or add raw chopped bacon to the baking sheet with about 20 minutes remaining in the cooking time.
Cabbage Steaks with Garlic
Easily make garlic rubbed roasted cabbage by smashing 2 to 3 garlic cloves. Rub the cloves on both sides of cabbage slices. Brush with melted butter, season, and bake.
Side Dishes to go with Roasted Cabbage
- Grilled Zucchini (low carb)
- Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Baked Broccoli and Cheddar (low carb)
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Cheesy Cauliflower Broccoli Casserole (low carb / keto option)
- Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
- Vegetable Tart
- Baked Tomatoes with Cheese (low carb / keto)
SAVE THIS Recipe TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Crispy Oven Roasted Cabbage Steaks
- 1 head cabbage, outer leaves removed, bottom slightly trimmed, and cut into ½" slices
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt*, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove outer leaves of cabbage and slice into ½" slices.
- Brush baking sheet with a little of the melted butter to grease the pan. Place cabbage slices onto the baking sheet in a single layer. To fit them all on one pan, you may have to cut some of the slices in half. Alternatively, use 2 pans if you prefer for them to remain whole.
- Brush top side of cabbage with half the remaining melted butter. Sprinkle tops with half the salt and pepper. Flip cabbage over and brush on remaining butter. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven to flip cabbages to other side. Return to oven for 15-20 minutes more, or until cabbage is tender, golden, and edges are crispy and brown. Serve immediately.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
- For a large cabbage it will best to split between 2 baking sheets.
- If using 2 baking sheets for more cabbage, increase butter by 1-2 tablespoons and use more salt and pepper to thoroughly season cabbage.
- Leave all the outer leaves on sheet even if they fall away from the main slice. Those are the best bits that get tender and browned!
- The thinner the slices the more tender the cabbage will be. It will also cook quicker.
Roasted Cabbage Slices VariationsCabbage Steaks with Cheese After the roasted cabbage comes out of the oven sprinkle on gorgonzola cheese, blue cheese, or freshly grated parmesan. Return to the oven for 1 minute to melt. Cabbage Steaks with Bacon Sprinkle cooked cabbage with crispy chopped bacon or add raw chopped bacon to the baking sheet with about 20 minutes remaining in the cooking time. Cabbage Steaks with Garlic Easily make garlic rubbed roasted cabbage by smashing 2 to 3 garlic cloves. Rub the cloves on both sides of cabbage slices. Brush with melted butter, season, and bake.
❊SHOP THE RECIPE❊
Items used to make this recipe*: