Easy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is cheesy baked gluten-free broccoli casserole loaded with fresh or frozen veggies in a creamy sauce. This keto, low carb recipe is quick to throw together, plus make-ahead and freezer-friendly!
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is easy enough to throw together for a weeknight meal side dish, but also a family favorite at holiday gatherings. It makes a great accompaniment to side dish for ham, roast turkey, or baked chicken.
This recipe takes minutes to throw together, but if you are prepping for a Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter meal, veggie casserole can be refrigerated for a day before baking or frozen.
Since the recipe contains no bread crumbs or panko, it also serves as a decadent gluten-free broccoli casserole. Simply leave out the cauliflower and double up on the amount of broccoli!
Use this recipe for cauliflower broccoli casserole to mix and match a variety of veggies! Below are the suggested ingredients, but use any preferred add-ins for a gluten-free vegetable casserole.
- Fresh broccoli florets – substitute frozen California medley or use pre-chopped broccoli florets as a time saver
- Fresh cauliflower florets – substitute frozen California medley or use pre-chopped florets
- Sour cream – regular or light
- Heavy Cream – for best taste, but milk, half and half, or non-dairy milk may be substituted
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese – use freshly grated for best results or try a mixture of cheeses, such as parmesan cheese, gouda, swiss, or mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder
How to Make Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
(Below shows step-by-step photos and modified instructions. For the complete recipe, along with ingredient amounts, scroll down to the recipe card.)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Add the broccoli, cauliflower, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a baking sheet. Toss to combine and then spread out evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, toss and flip and then bake for 8-10 minutes more, or until barely tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together sour cream, heavy cream, ¾ cup shredded cheese, and garlic powder. Add the veggies and stir gently to combine.
- Place in a 2 quart (8X8 inch) baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes longer.
using frozen vegetables
Because frozen veggies can often be purchased as florets, this can also be a time saver for holiday meal prep.
Substitute the fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets with three 12 ounce bags of California medley or a mixture of frozen broccoli and cauliflower.
Thaw the veggies first and skip the initial roasting on a baking sheet with the olive oil. When mixing the vegetables in cream sauce add the salt and pepper to the mixture as well, but leave out the olive oil.
Make the recipe in its entirety up to the point of baking the second time. Make sure the vegetables have completely cooled before wrapping securely and storing. Refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and set out the casserole to come to room temperature before baking. Add additional 5-10 minutes baking time, or until dish hot and bubbly throughout.
frequently asked questions
Yes. Keep the cheesy creamy sauce the same and use any preferred fresh of frozen vegetables in place of the broccoli and cauliflower.
Yes! Since there are no bread crumbs or crackers on top gluten-free broccoli casserole it is also a keto and low carb recipe. For another easy, low carb side dish, check out Baked Tomatoes with Cheese!
If you don’t need gluten-free vegetable casserole you may add bread crumbs (or gluten free breadcrumbs), crackers mixed with melted butter, french fried onions, gluten-free fried onions, or crushed potato chips (GF). For low carb or keto toppings, try crumbled pork rinds, keto crackers, or chopped nuts.
More gluten-free Casseroles
- Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch – This homemade, classic recipe is cheesy with a crunchy potato chip topping, contains no condensed soup, and is easily adaptable to make gluten free.
- Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole – Tender chicken, noodles, and sautéed mushrooms in a creamy wine sauce and topped with golden cheese.
- Easy Cheese Grits Casserole – Perfect comfort side dish for breakfast, brunch, or even a weeknight dinner.
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole – Creamy seasoned ground beef layered under golden crispy tater tots and lots of gooey melted cheese.
SAVE THIS recipe for Broccoli Cauliflower casserole TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 pound fresh broccoli florets,
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut in florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cup freshly shredded grated sharp cheddar, divided
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Add the broccoli, cauliflower, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the baking sheet. Toss to combine and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 10 minutes, toss and flip with spatula and then bake for 8-10 minutes more, or until barely tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Grease a 2 quart (8X8 inch) dish and set aside. In a large bowl mix together sour cream, heavy cream, ¾ cup shredded cheese, and garlic powder. Add the veggies and stir gently to combine.
- Spread the vegetable mixture into prepared 2 quart baking dish. Top with the remaining ¾ cup cheese. Bake for 8-10 minutes longer. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes before serving.