Broiled Grapefruit Margarita recipe will make you never want to go back to traditional margaritas again. The smokey tanginess of brûléed ruby red grapefruit juice pairs perfectly with tequila, orange triple sec, and fresh lime juice. This is not your average margarita recipe – infinitely better!
Do you need an excuse to make and drink this phenomenal Broiled Grapefruit Margarita? No worries, I applaud your accountability!
I present you with upcoming Cinco de Mayo. Now, go on with your bad self! Don’t forget to check back in Memorial weekend. (That’s a drinking holiday, right?)
For all you full-time drinkers out there, I feel ya. Why should cocktails be pigeonholed into sporadic holidays and celebrations?
So yes, I didn’t indulge in these grapefruit margaritas on a “legitimate” occasion. I’m pretty sure they capped off a day of laundry, homework help, heavy sibling arbitration, and a lot of food prepared. Why don’t we have a day honoring getting through that?!
Wait. Is Mother’s Day a drinking holiday?
How to Make a Broiled Grapefruit Margarita
To make this simple, refreshing cocktail you only need a handful of ingredients – ruby red grapefruit, lime, brown sugar, triple sec, and tequila.
Cut the grapefruit in half, sprinkle with brown sugar, and broil for a few minutes. Let it cool slightly and squeeze all that smoky, brown sugar grapefruit juice into your margarita glass.
Tips and Tricks
- Place the halved grapefruit on parchment or foil before you broil it. It will make clean up easy and you can easily pour that oozy, brown sugar, grapefruit juice from the foil into your margarita.
- If you don’t like pulp in your drinks, use a small mesh strainer to pour the grapefruit juice through.
- A broiled grapefruit yields a lot of juice. I used the entire grapefruit for a pint glass margarita. If you are using shorter glasses, you can split one grapefruit between two glasses.
More Cocktail Recipes!
SAVE THIS BROILED GRAPEFRUIT MARGARITA TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Broiled Grapefruit Margarita
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, halved
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz. triple sec
- margarita salt, optional
- lime or grapefruit wedges, for serving
- Place the halved grapefruit, cut side up, on a small foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. brown sugar on top of each grapefruit half. Broil for 5-8 minutes, or until sugar is bubbly and caramelized. Set aside to cool. (TIP: Adjust the sweetness of your drink by stirring in more or less of the residual brown sugar syrup collected on your baking sheet.)
- In a tall pint glass pour tequila, lime juice, and triple sec. Squeeze in both halves of the grapefruit juice and any additional brown sugar settled onto pan into the glass. (TIP: If you don't care for pulp, use a small mesh strainer to strain juice into glass)
- Fill glass with ice and garnish with lime or grapefruit wedges.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
❊SHOP THE RECIPE❊
Items used to make this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.