Insanely flavorful slow cooker carne asada recipe makes Mexican night a breeze! Seasoned to perfection flank steak cooks in the crockpot until juicy and tender and makes a great filling for tacos or main dish!
why you need slow cooker carne asada in your life!
Planning a fiesta? Serve this carne asada recipe with Grapefruit Margaritas!
- An effortless recipe to enjoy hands-off steak tacos!
- Enjoy carne asada year round without have to fire up the grill.
- Cooking flank steak (or skirt steak)can be a little nerve-racking because it’s a more expensive cut of meat. Preparing it in slow cooker takes the guesswork out and you’re left with juicy, fall apart tender meat.
For crockpot carne asada you will first need to mix together spices for a rub. The seasoned flank steak is placed in the slow cooker, along with freshly squeezed citruses, a touch of vinegar, and braised on low heat.
- Flank steak (See below for different cuts of meat.)
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika (For best flavor, but any type of paprika can be substituted.)
- Chili powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar (Or apple cider vinegar)
To serve as tacos, add tortillas and any optional toppings, such as lettuce, cheese, salsa, sour cream, and sliced avocado.
How to make slow cooker carne asada
- First, begin by mixing together the spices for the rub. Add a little olive oil to the seasonings for easy coating of the steak. Rub everything on both sides of the flank steak.
- Next, transfer the meat to the slow cooker and add the juice of an orange, lime, and top with freshly chopped cilantro.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the steak from the slow cooker and slice it against the grain to serve along with juices and taco fixings, if desired.
frequently asked questions
Yes. You may also transform this recipe into crock pot skirt steak tacos. The preparation and cooking time will remain same.
However, skirt steak is a thinner cut of meat than flank steak, so the texture will be a little stringier and tender, more like shredded taco meat.
I’ve tested the recipe with both flank and skirt steak, and the flank steak held up better to the slow cooking. Another option, though, would be a brisket.
Since this makes such a wonderfully tender filling, carne asada in the slow cooker makes a great option for steak tacos.
If you are looking for something besides flank steak tacos, you may also serve carne asada over a taco salad, with rice and beans, burrito bowl, or as a Mexican-inspired steak and eggs.
After the steak has finished cooking, remove it from the crock pot and let it rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board.
To cut flank steak, slice the meat against the grain. This means you will see lines running through the fibers of the meat. Do not slice in the same direction as these fibers, but cut perpendicular to them.
Save this crock pot carne asada recipe to your PINTEREST board!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Slow Cooker Carne Asada
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- For serving: pico de gallo, fresh cilantro, tortillas
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl. Add the olive oil and stir to combine into a thick paste.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the flank steak on both sides. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Pour in the orange juice, lime juice, and vinegar. Sprinkle the cilantro on top.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. Remove the steak from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve with reserved juices, if desired.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD