Pizza pasta tastes just like a comforting sausage pepperoni pizza, but as a pasta casserole! Make supreme pizza pasta skillet with simple, adaptable ingredients and enjoy in under 30 minutes.
Pizza Pasta recipe – quick weeknight dinner!
Supreme pizza pasta bake makes a quick weeknight dinner the whole family is guaranteed to love! In under 30 minutes sit down to a warm, bubbly cheesy pasta casserole loaded with pepperoni, sausage, peppers, and onions.
Like walking taco casserole and skillet lasagna, pepperoni pizza pasta does not require a long time bake time in the oven. If you prefer a bubbly, golden cheese topping, throw it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
However, if you don’t have a broiler, or don’t feel like turning on the oven, simply sprinkle with cheese and cover for five minutes to melt.
While the recipe below replicates a supreme pizza, add any of your favorite pizza toppings. Mix in mushrooms or black olives, make a meat-lovers version with added ham and bacon, or forgo the sausage and pepperoni for a vegetarian pizza pasta bake.
- Pasta – Use a shorter noodle, such as penne or rotini. Gluten-free pasta also works well in this recipe.
- Italian sausage – To lighten the dish, substitute turkey sausage. Ground beef may also be used in place of the sausage.
- Pepperoni – Chopped pepperoni is mixed in the casserole, but I like to add some whole slices to broil on top, just like your favorite pepperoni pizza!
- Veggies – Chopped onions and green peppers are suggested, but flavor with any preferred vegetables, such as mushrooms, olives, or broccoli.
- Crushed tomatoes – I prefer canned tomatoes because they are more affordable than spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce, or pizza sauce, however any of those will work. Simply omit the salt and seasonings.
- Seasonings – If using crushed tomatoes, season with dried basil and oregano. Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, parsley or garlic powder would also be great additions!
how to make supreme pizza pasta
(Below shows step-by-step photos and modified instructions. For the complete recipe, along with ingredient amounts, scroll down to the recipe card.)
- Begin by boiling the pasta to al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, deep oven-proof skillet. Add the sausage, breaking up with a spoon and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the onions and peppers, cooking until tender. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in the seasonings, crushed tomatoes, and chopped pepperoni. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta and 1/2 cup cheese. Mix to combine, then sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- If desired, add pepperoni slices to the top and broil for 1-2 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and pepperoni is crisp. Serve immediately.
healthy adaptations for pizza pasta bake
Pizza pasta casserole adapts for different diets to make the ideal quick and easy dinner. Whether you prefer light and healthy dishes, follow a low carb, dairy-free, or gluten-free diet, adapt the recipe with the changes suggested below.
- Instead of pepperoni pizza pasta, the meat may be omitted to save on calories or make this a vegetarian dish.
- Replace the Italian sausage with turkey sausage.
- Skip the cheese to make the recipe dairy-free or lighten calories.
- For low carb pizza pasta, use keto pasta or substitute cauliflower rice.
- Add additional veggies, such as mushrooms, zucchini, black olives, or broccoli
Since our family eats gluten-free dinners, we make this recipe using gluten-free pasta. My preferred brand to use is Barilla gluten-free penne or rotini.
When cooking gluten-free pasta, always error on just al dente or slightly undercooking it. It can go from perfect to mushy quite fast. The pasta finishes cooking as it is mixed in the hot tomato sauce.
Also, when boiling gluten-free pasta, do not salt the water because the starches take on too much of the salt. Instead, salt the sauce to taste.
more quick dinner recipes
SAVE THIS recipe for supreme pizza pasta skillet TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Supreme Pizza Pasta Skillet (Quick & Easy)
- 12 ounce penne or rotini pasta (regular or gluten-free)
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (decrease to ¼ tsp if pasta water was salted)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped pepperoni (additional for topping)
- 1 ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- Boil pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile while pasta is boiling, heat a large, oven-proof deep skillet over medium heat, and add oil. Cook the sausage, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 mins. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in the dried basil, oregano, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and chopped pepperoni. Scrape up browned bits at the bottom of the pan and simmer for 5 mins. Preheat the broiler.
- Stir in the half the cooked pasta and ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Toss to combine then add remaining cooked pasta. Toss gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and pepperoni slices. Broil for 1-2 minutes or until pepperoni crisps and cheese bubbles. Serve immediately.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.