Learn how to make creamy Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff with this quick, easy, and ultra flavorful recipe! Tender chicken pieces are coated in a rich mushroom cream sauce with simple adaptations included for gluten free stroganoff as well!
Make ultra creamy chicken stroganoff in a pressure cooker to enjoy a healthy, comforting meal in a fraction of the time! This recipe was adapted from instant pot beef stroganoff recipe, with similar ingredients to make a rich, creamy sauce, but a different pressure cooker method to adapt for the faster-cooking chicken.
- Chicken – I use boneless, skinless breasts, but chicken thighs may also be substituted
- Chicken broth
- Dried parsley
- Onion powder
- Sour cream
- Flour – Use regular all-purpose or gluten free all purpose flour. I substituted Cup 4 Cup flour. for gluten free stroganoff.
- For serving: Mashed potatoes, riced or mashed cauliflower, cooked rice, or gluten free pasta for gluten free chicken stroganoff. Traditionally it is served with cooked, buttered egg noodles.
How to make creamy chicken stroganoff in an instant pot
(Note: This is a step-by-step tutorial with pictures. For more specific instructions, along with ingredient amounts, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- First, add the butter to the pot and melt on HIGH SAUTE. Add the chicken and onions, cooking and stirring until the chicken is just opaque, but not cooked through.
- Add the mushrooms, part of the chicken broth, paprika, parsley, onion powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Set the pressure cooker to HIGH pressure and cook for 2 minutes with a 5 minute natural release. Let out any remaining pressure.
- After the cook and release time ends, stir together the remaining broth, flour, and sour cream until smooth and no lumps remain. Ladle about ½ cup of hot broth from pot into sour cream mixture and stir to combine. Add the sour cream mixture to the pressure cooker, stirring continuously, until well combined. Cook SAUTE LOW for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
crock pot method
This instant pot recipe can easily be adapted to make creamy chicken stroganoff in your crock pot as well!
Add everything to the slow cooker except the remaining broth / sour cream / flour mixture. Cook on LOW 4-6 hours or HIGH 3 hours.
Stir together remaining broth / sour cream / flour mixture with hot broth, stir in pot, and cook UNCOVERED on HIGH for 30 minutes to thicken sauce.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Since this recipe uses no cream of mushroom soup, it’s easy to adapt for a gluten free stroganoff. Simply swap out the traditional all purpose flour for gluten-free flour.
For serving, choose a gluten free option, such as mashed potatoes, rice, gluten-free pasta, mashed or riced cauliflower. For a complete menu planning guide, check out the best gluten-free instant pot recipes!
Use yogurt or 6 ounces softened cream cheese as a sour cream alternative. For dairy-free stroganoff substitute dairy free butter and soy / dairy free sour cream. Alternatively use cashew cream in place of the sour cream.
Yes. If you are looking for an easier, more hands-off meal the chicken does not have to be sauteed first. However, you will have to cook under pressure for a longer time. Dump everything in, except the additional broth, sour cream and flour, seal and set the time to HIGH PRESSURE 6 minutes, with 5 minute natural release.
Yes, but the instant pot will take longer to come to pressure. Partially thaw the chicken first, enough to cut into 1 inch pieces, before adding it to the pressure cooker.
Click here to see the
step-by-step web story instructions for this recipe!
More instant pot chicken recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Homemade Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Honey Soy Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Save this recipe to your PINTEREST board!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Creamy Instant Pot Chicken Stroganoff
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- For serving: mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, rice, or cooked egg noodles
- Add the butter to the pot and melt on HIGH SAUTE. Add the chicken and onions, seasoning with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook and stir until the chicken is just opaque, but not cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 1 cup chicken broth, paprika, parsley, onion powder, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Close and seal lid and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 2 minutes, with a 5 minute natural release after the cooking time ends. Let out any remaining pressure.
- In a small bowl stir together the remaining ¼ cup broth, flour, and sour cream until smooth and no lumps remain. Ladle about ½ cup of hot sauce from the pot into the sour cream mixture, stirring to combine. Add the sour cream mixture to the pressure cooker, stirring continuously, until well combined. Cook SAUTE LOW for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve immediately over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, rice, or cooked pasta.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
crock pot methodAdd everything to the slow cooker except the remaining broth / sour cream / flour mixture. Cook on LOW 4-6 hours or HIGH 3 hours. Stir together remaining broth / sour cream / flour mixture with hot broth, stir in pot, and cook UNCOVERED on HIGH for 30 minutes to thicken sauce.
Using Frozen ChickenPartially thaw the chicken first, enough to cut into 1 inch pieces, before adding it to the pressure cooker. The cooking time will remain the same, but it will take slightly longer to come to pressure.
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.
So so bland. Even after tweaking it doesn’t even come close to other stroganoffs
Chelsea Green says
Delicious!! Had to add a little extra salt at the end. But other than that the recipe was spot on. So creamy and easy!
Thank you, Chelsea! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for taking the time to write!
Made this last night for dinner. It was super creamy and so easy to prepare.
Thanks for taking the time to write and let me know. It’s always appreciated!
This looks super creamy and moreish! IP is definitely a life saving kitchen gadget.