Mini Hasselback Potatoes recipe are sliced, baby new potatoes, seasoned with garlic butter, roasted until golden, and then topped with cheesy parmesan. These garlic hasselback potatoes are guaranteed to be a hit at the dinner table or as an appetizer!
The ingredients are simple, yet flavored perfectly with a rich garlic butter. What takes this recipe over the top, is the preparation. Slicing baby potatoes hasselback-style makes them fan out as they bake, making the edges golden and crispy, while the interiors are perfectly tender.
- Red potatoes – Small, baby-sized ones are best to reduce cooking time.
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make mini hasselback potatoes recipe
- First slice the small potatoes hasselback-style. The easiest way to do this is to place the potato on a wooden spoon and slice in 1/8 inch increments until the knife hits the spoon.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and toss with melted butter, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Lay the mini potatoes out on a baking sheet, cut side up. Bake for 20 minutes, and toss to combine with butter again. Continue baking for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and tender.
- Remove from the oven, push the potatoes together, and then sprinkle with optional parmesan cheese.
frequently asked questions
best way to cut hasselback potatoes
You have a few options to choose from. The easiest way is to place the potato on a wooden spoon and slice in 1/8 inch increments until the knife hits the spoon.
Another way is to rest the red potato between two chopsticks, stopping when the knife hits the chopsticks.
Finally, simply slice the potato, making sure not to cut all the way through, until about three-fourths the way down.
what are the best type of potatoes to use?
This recipe uses a smaller potato, such as new, red, or baby potatoes, which helps reduce the baking time. However, any shape or sized potato may be used, but you may have to adjust the baking time.
How long to bake hasselback mini potatoes?
Baby red potatoes take about 45 minutes to bake, tossing the potatoes halfway through. If you use larger, gold potatoes increase the baking time by 10-15 minutes.
Can these be made into an appetizer?
Garlic hasselback potatoes also make a great appetizer! Choose small, one or two-bite potatoes and skewer with a toothpick after baking. Serve with ranch dressing, cheese sauce, or any herb flavored dip.
more seasoning ideas
- Loaded – Sprinkle on bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions after baking. Serve with sour cream.
- Rosemary garlic – Add 2-3 sprigs of freshly chopped rosemary or add 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary.
- Garlic herb butter – Use a 2 teaspoon mixture of freshly topped herbs to mix with garlic butter.
More easy potato Recipes
If you love decadent and easy potato side dish recipes, check out some other favorites!
- Brown Butter Smashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Crispy Roasted Ranch Potatoes
- Grilled Potatoes
- Salt Potatoes
SAVE THIS TO MINI HASSELBACK POTATOES recipe YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Mini Hasselback Potatoes
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to cut potatoes in ⅙-inch increments, stopping about ¼ from the bottom. Tip: To make this easier, lay a wooden spoon on a cutting board and place the potato in the spoon. Make the cuts, stopping once the knife hits the spoon.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, place the butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat until butter is melted, about 45 seconds. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and gently toss to combine.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on the baking sheet, cut sides up. Pour any remaining butter mixture over the tops. Bake for 20 minutes, use a spatula to toss and mix, then place cut side back up. Bake for 20-25 minutes longer, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- If adding parmesan, remove from the oven and push the potatoes together in the center of the baking sheet. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and serve immediately.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
what are the best type of potatoes to use?This recipe uses a smaller potato, such as new, red, or baby potatoes, which helps reduce the baking time. However, any shape or sized potato may be used, but you may have to adjust the baking time.
more seasoning ideas
- Loaded - Sprinkle on bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions after baking. Serve with sour cream.
- Rosemary garlic - Add 2-3 sprigs for freshly chopped rosemary or add 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary.
- Garlic herb butter - Use a 2 teaspoon mixture of freshly topped herbs to mix with garlic butter.
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.