Mexican Layered Frittata teaches you how to make an easy, baked frittata recipe and then layer it with fixings so it’s just how you like it! This recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or an one pan, healthy, weeknight dinner. How can you go wrong with cheesy eggs, mixed with tortilla chips, and layered with salsa?
Eggs for dinner is a go-to weeknight dinner plan for our family. I always have them on hand, they’re cheap, and they can be prepared countless ways.
Plus my family never complains about having eggs again because I’ve out smarted them.
Just keep reinventing and no one catches on you keep feeding them the same thing.
Mexican Layered Frittata makes lots of dinner appearances because of it’s versatility. Layer it with your favorite toppings, or go to town on the adult’s side while leaving the other half more kid-friendly.
Try it and I promise you’ll be floored by the taste and how well these simple ingredients work together.
How to Make a Basic Frittata
First we need to establish why you and frittatas should forge a strong relationship. They are the lazy person’s omelet and you can’t really mess it up.
Who doesn’t need a little more of that in their life?
- Whisk eggs with salt and pepper.
- Melt a pad of butter in an ovenproof skillet and pour eggs in.
- Use silicone spoon to scrape up cooked eggs from bottom of the pan and stir.
- Once you start to see large curds and eggs are about halfway cooked (see shot 3 below) remove from heat.
- Stir in any additional desired ingredients, such as cheese, cooked bacon, cooked sausage, or veggies.
- Finish baking in 350°F oven until set, about 5-10 minutes. Cut in wedges and serve.
Now let’s step up your game and branch out into a completely feasible showstopper.
STEP BY STEP – How to Make Mexican Layered Frittata
1. First whisk the eggs with salt and pepper.
2. Next cook the onions in an ovenproof skillet pan.
3. Pour the eggs in the pan with onions. Stir and cook until large egg curds form, but not completely cooked.
4. Remove eggs from heat and stir in crushed tortilla chips. (This is the secret weapon for making this THE BEST FRITTATA EVER.)
5. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for a few minutes to finish cooking eggs and melt cheese.
6. Remove from oven to layer with refried beans, more crushed tortilla chips, salsa, lettuce, avocado, sour cream. Basically anything you want. Go nuts.
Can I Freeze a Frittata?
Yes, but you should take some extra steps reheating it so it doesn’t become spongy.
Thaw the frittata slowly in the refrigerator overnight or set out on a counter. Once it’s thawed, loosely wrap in foil and put it in a cold oven. Let the oven warm to 325°F and gradually warm the frittata with it.
If you are reheating the Mexican Layered Frittata, leave off any salsa, lettuce, sour cream, avocado, or cilantro. Freezing and reheating with the beans and extra chips should be fine.
What Should I Serve with Frittata?
- Fresh fruit
- Roasted Potatoes
- Biscuits, Scones, or Quick Breads
- Sausage, ham, or bacon
- For a weeknight dinner, I’ll serve this with rice and corn.
SAVE THIS MEXICAN LAYERED FRITTATA TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Mexican Layered Frittata
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips, divided
- optional toppings: chopped lettuce avocado, cilantro, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Swirl the olive oil around the bottom and sides of a medium oven-proof skillet. Heat over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion in oil for 4-5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the eggs and using a silicone spoon stir and fold the eggs until large curds form and eggs almost cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in 1/2 cup of cheddar and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips.
- Smooth the top of the frittata evenly in the pan and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar on top. Place in oven and bake 6-7 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile briefly heat refried beans in microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute, stirring halfway through.
- Spread the beans over the cooked frittata and then sprinkle with additional crushed tortilla chips. Spoon salsa on top of the chips and layer with any additional desired toppings. Slice into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
❊SHOP THE RECIPE❊
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
OTHER RECIPES TO LOVE:
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you – which helps justify to my family all the time I spend on the computer. Read full disclosure policy here.