Make rich, homemade gluten-free cream of mushroom soup with this easy 20 minute recipe! Sit down to a comforting, filling soup that can easily be converted gluten-free substitute for condensed cream of mushroom soup, dairy free, or vegan diets.
gluten-free mushroom soup – condensed or homemade soup
Gluten-free cream of mushroom soup recipe can be enjoyed as a velvety, ultra creamy homemade soup or as a condensed mushroom soup substitute in your favorite dishes, such as tuna noodle casserole, beef stroganoff, or gluten-free green bean casserole.
Instead of spending money on expensive gluten-free speciality brands, this easy recipe uses pantry-staple ingredients for a homemade soup in only 20 minutes!
Like gluten-free cream of chicken soup recipe, you can enjoy easy, from scratch creamy soup using basic and affordable ingredients! Other than picking up a package of mushrooms, the ingredients are typically ready and waiting right in your kitchen!
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic – If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, substitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Fresh mushrooms – White button mushrooms or try more exotic baby bella, cremini, shiitake or porcini.
- Onion powder
- Chicken broth – For vegan soup, use vegetable broth.
- Cornstarch – See recipe notes for an alternative gluten-free thickener
- Milk – 2% for best flavor or use a non-dairy milk, such as unsweetened almond milk
how to make GLUTEN-FREE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
Use this quick and easy recipe to substitute condensed cream of mushroom soup in casseroles, sauces and gravies. If you’d like to turn it into a rich, comforting soup see the additional directions below.
(Note: This is a step-by-step tutorial with pictures. For more specific instructions, along with ingredient amounts, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms. Cook and stir until they are tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder to the mixture and saute for 30 seconds longer.
- Whisk together chicken broth with cornstarch. Add to the mushrooms and simmer until thick, about 1 minute.
- Stir in ½ cup milk and cook, stirring continuously for one minute longer.
- For condensed soup, remove from heat, cool, and refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container.
How to make homemade Gluten-free cream of mushroom soup
Once you have the condensed recipe made, making a warm, comforting bowl of creamy soup is as easy as adding additional milk!
- If making mushroom soup to eat, add an additional 1 ½ cups milk, cooking and stirring until hot and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with fresh parmesan, parsely, or additional sauteed mushrooms.
storing / freezing
Either the condensed or ready-made version may be refrigerated up to 3 days in an airtight container.
The condensed recipe may be frozen for later use or to have on hand for casseroles. Freeze in a glass jar, or other airtight container, leaving headroom for the soup to expand upon freezing.
How to make cream of mushroom soup dairy-free / vegan
To make gluten-free, dairy- free creamy mushroom soup, replace the butter with avocado oil and use unsweetened non-dairy milk.
For a vegan recipe, replace the butter with avocado oil, chicken broth with vegetable broth, and use unsweetened non-dairy milk.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I use white button mushrooms, but any mushroom, such as baby bella, cremini, shiitake or porcini may be used.
When you are ready for a batch of homemade mushroom soup pull the condensed soup. If it is frozen, allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Add the condensed soup to a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups additional milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the soup is hot and thickened.
For alternative gluten-free thickeners, replace the cornstarch with 4 tablespoons gluten-free flour or 2-3 tablespoons arrowroot powder.
If you are making the condensed recipe it will yield about 2 cups, which is about 16 ounces. A standard store bought can of condensed soup contains 10.5 ounces, or about 1 1/4 cups.
If you are making the homemade cream of mushroom soup, it makes about 4 servings, or approximately 6 cups.
For best flavor, use at least 2% milk. For a richer, creamier soup you may also substitute half and half or evaporated milk.
For dairy-free soup, use a neutral flavored non-dairy milk, such as unsweetened almond milk.
Also, adjust the amount of milk depending on how thick or thin you like it. For thicker or thinner soups, use 1/2 cup less or 1/2 cup more for thinner soup.
More gluten-free soup recipes
Save this recipe for GLUTEN-FREE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP to your PINTEREST board!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounce white button mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk, divided
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms, cooking and stirring until they are soft and the liquid has evaporated, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder and saute for 30 seconds longer.
- Whisk together chicken broth with the cornstarch. Add to the mushrooms and cook, stirring continuously until very thick, about 1 minute.
- Stir in ½ cup milk and cook and stir one minute longer. For condensed soup, remove from the heat, cool, and refrigerate or freeze in an airtight container.
- To make the soup, over medium-low heat, add an additional 1 ½ cups milk, cooking and stirring until hot and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.