Cookie Dough Brownies recipe layers a thick fudgy brownie bottom topped with creamy, cheesecake cookie dough, all covered in a rich, chocolate topping. This cream cheese brownie recipe includes gluten free and brownie mix adaptations.
You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t go absolutely nuts over these Cookie Dough Brownies. (Unless they are one of those non-sweet-eaters.🙄👎)
Every time I bring these cookie dough cream cheese bars to a gathering or dinner party they create a stir! Be prepared to hand out the recipe and expect an invite back.
Chocolate chip cookie dough brownie bars layers
First, start with an easy homemade brownie recipe, baked in a 8X8 pan. However, if making homemade brownies isn’t your thing, no sweat. Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownies taste just as amazing using a boxed brownie mix too.
Next, top the brownie bottom with chocolate chip cookie dough that tastes like creamy cookie dough cheesecake. The cookie dough doesn’t use flour or eggs, so it’s perfectly safe to eat and naturally gluten free (like gluten free chocolate chip cookies).
Finally, cover it all with an easy chocolate topping that comes together in the microwave. Semisweet chocolate chips are combined with butter to make a softer topping that is easier to cut without cracking.
Alternatively, if you are looking for a smoother chocolate glaze topping, use the topping from Zucchini Brownies recipe.
How to Make Cookie Dough Brownies recipe
- Begin by making brownies, either using a brownie mix, gluten free brownies, or the easy homemade recipe included. Bake and cool completely.
- Next mix together cookie dough cream cheese layer by beating softened butter, cream cheese, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Stir in miniature chocolate chips.
- Spread the cheesecake cookie dough layer onto cooled brownies, and chill for 45-60 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in the microwave safe bowl. Spread on the chilled cookie dough layer using an offset spatula. Chill for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Yes. Since the cheesecake cookie dough layer is naturally gluten free, you will only need a gluten free brownie bottom. Either use a 8X8 gluten free brownie mix or substitute gluten free flour in the recipe included.
For gluten free and grain free brownies, almond flour brownie recipe may also be substituted.
Yes. The bottom brownie layer may be substituted with your favorite store bought mix. To make cookie dough brownies with a brownie mix just be sure the mix yields a 8X8 inch pan of brownies, versus a 9X13 inch.
Cookie dough cream cheese bars need to be refrigerated because of the cheesecake layer. However, they may sit out up to 4-6 hours before having to transfer them to a refrigerator.
Yes. The entire pan or individual brownies may be wrapped securely and frozen up to 3 months in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator when ready to serve.
more Tips and Tricks
- The recipe includes my absolute favorite homemade brownie recipe, but feel free to use your own, a fudgy almond flour brownie recipe, or a 8X8 boxed brownie mix.
- When melting chocolate in the microwave, do not heat until chips are completely melted. Instead, melt until chips halfway, remove from microwave, and stir until smooth. The residual heat will finish melting the chips and the chocolate won’t bloom (get white speckles) as it cools.
- When the chocolate topping is cut, it may break apart slightly. If you prefer more of a glaze melt together 3/4 cup chocolate chips with 3 tablespoons milk or heavy cream.
SAVE THis recipe for COOKIE DOUGH BROWNIES TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Cookie Dough Brownies Recipe
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all purpose flour, traditional or gluten free ( I recommend Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour )
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup miniature chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 8X8 baking pan and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, and water. Bring to just a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Cool slightly, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir eggs and vanilla into the saucepan. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake at for 30-32 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined and smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the miniature chocolate chips. Spread cookie dough on the cooled brownies and refrigerate for 45 -60 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips and butter in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45-60 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. Remove from microwave before chips are fully melted and continue stirring until chocolate is smooth.
- Spread the chocolate on top of cream cheese layer. Chill for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!
Frequently Asked Questions:Can I make these gluten free?
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.