Fluffy Mint Cream Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake is a cool, creamy, chocolatey dessert perfect for birthdays, special occasions, or St. Patrick’s Day. This is chocolate mint “lasagna” at it’s best with rich chocolate cake, creamy pudding, and a light, fluffy mint cream cheese topping.
Marrying into a family means adapting to another whole set of long-established traditions, celebrations, and all the customary foods to go along. Sometimes the dishes served live up to the hype. Sometimes we are left wondering, how could this food possibly warrant your level of excitement?
When Ryan started coming around my family he was introduced to our one-of-a-kind PUNCH BOWL CAKE.
Ryan definitely drank the Punch Bowl Cake Kool-aid, and wholeheartedly agrees serving this cake merits being served for over 30 years. He would never admit this, but chances are this cake (finally) solidified his decision to marry me so he could spend a lifetime eating it.
Punch bowl cake has one tiny drawback, though. It yields an aggressive amount of dessert.
This served us well growing up because the size of my immediate family is aggressive. However, if the size of this cake is overkill for your gathering, I came up with the more reasonable-sized variation – Fluffy Mint Cream Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake.
(Recipe for Original Punch Bowl Cake appears at bottom of post)
Why Fluffy Mint Cream Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake is Even Better
Fluffy Mint Cream Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake takes all my favorite parts of punch bowl cake – rich and creamy pudding, fluffy chocolate cake, paired with a cool mint flavor – then brought it up a notch. I added cream cheese to the whipped topping to give it a slightly denser, creamier layer.
Tips For Making Fluffy Mint Cream Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake:
- Use a large box of Cook and Serve Chocolate Pudding mix, not Instant. The pudding needs to be warm when you pour it over the cake. (Instant pudding uses cold milk.) You can also use a homemade chocolate pudding recipe.
- For best results, bake the cake while you are making the pudding. However, if you need to bake the cake ahead of time, it’s fine to pour the warm pudding over a cooled cake. It might not saturate the cake as much, but it won’t affect the taste.
- Beat the mint cream cheese layer for a full 3 minutes. Mixing at a high speed for a longer time will give the heavy cream in the mix needed time to add volume and airiness.
SAVE THIS FLUFFY MINT CREAM CHOCOLATE PUDDING POKE CAKE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Fluffy Mint Cream Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake
Cake: (or substitue 9X13 box cake mix)
- 3 boxes (small 3.4 oz) Cook and Serve (NOT INSTANT) chocolate pudding, see recipe note
- 6 cups milk
Fluffy Mint Cream Cheese:
- (2) 8 oz. packages cream cheese (regular or light), softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. mint extract
- 6 drops green food coloring
- 8 oz. container whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
Garnish: Andes mints, crushed mint Oreos, or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and (optional) espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk throughly to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed to low and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Once the water is mixed in increase to high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Pour batter in prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. While cake is baking, make pudding according to directions. Set aside to cool slightly while cake finishes baking.
- For Fluffy Mint Cream Cheese beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, heavy cream, mint extract, and food coloring together with a handheld mixer until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Fold in 1 cup of whipped topping. Set aside (refrigerate) remaining whipped topping for final layer.
- Top mint cream cheese layer with remaining whipped topping and garnish with chopped Andes mints, crushed mint Oreos, or chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
❊SHOP THE RECIPE❊
Here are some items I used to make this recipe:
MORE RELATED RECIPES:
2 layer chocolate cake
2 large (5 oz. boxes) cook and serve chocolate pudding
6 cups milk
2 8 oz. containers whipped topping (Cool Whip)
green food coloring
- Cook pudding according to directions. Cool and refrigerate until pudding is completely cold.
- Bake cake according to directions in two cake layer pans. Cool and cut each layer horizontally to make 4 total layers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl fold together whipped topping, mint extract, and green food coloring. Add the extract and coloring until you feel like it’s minty enough and has a tinted “mint” color.
- Assembly: Layer one cake layer at bottom of bowl. Top with one-forth pudding and one-forth mint whipped topping. Repeat 3 more times, ending with cool whip. Garnish top with sprinkles or chocolate curls.
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you – which helps justify to my family all the time I spend on the computer. Read full disclosure policy here.