Sink your teeth into a thick, soft, and chewy treat with easy gluten-free blondies! Blonde brownies are loaded with chocolate chips in every bite and taste so much like the classic recipe, no one will know they are gluten free!
Gluten-free blondie recipe
If you haven’t enjoyed a butterscotch-flavored brownie before, you are in for an epic treat! Blonde brownies have buttery, crisp edges with an ultra soft and chewy center. Adding chocolate chips gives a classic chocolate chip cookie flavor, but as a thick, soft bar cookie.
I adapted the recipe to make it even easier, using one bowl and a more streamlined processed, but with the same phenomenal results. Like homemade scotcheroos, sugar cookie bars, or banana bars, this is a dessert that will not stick around long!
- Sugar – A combination of light and brown sugars gives the butterscotch flavor. I have not tested the recipe with reducing the sugar or using a sugar-free substitute.
- Gluten-free Flour – I always use and recommend Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour because it does not have a gritty texture and mimics traditional baked goods identically. However, you may also check out this resource for more gluten free flour suggestions.
- Milk – For a gluten free dairy free recipe, swap out the milk for a non-dairy alternative. The milk helps hydrate the starches, eliminating any “sandiness.”
- Chocolate Chips – I love a blondie with chocolate chips, but they may be omitted or use butterscotch chip, milk chocolate, white chocolate chips, or a combination.
How to make Gluten-free blondies
(Note: This is a step-by-step tutorial with pictures. For more specific instructions, along with ingredient amounts, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined, then stir in the 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- For easier lifting out of the pan to cut, line an 8X8 baking pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Otherwise, grease the pan and pour batter in. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 325ºF for 50-55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The bars are done when the top is shiny and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes. Substitute non-dairy milk in the recipe and use dairy-free chocolate chips.
In the mood for gluten-free butterscotch blondies? Simply swap out butterscotch chips for the chocolate chips. Milk chocolate, white chocolate, or a combination may also be added.
Yes. To make blondies in a 9X13 pan simply double the ingredients and bake for about 5 minutes longer.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer storage, wrap bars securely with plastic wrap and place in ziplock freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months.
Best tips / modifications
Gluten-free blondies recipe may be adapted for a variety of flavors and add-ins. Stir in chopped nuts, peanut butter chips, butterscotch, or white chocolate chips instead, or in addition to, the chocolate.
For a sweet and salty twist, sprinkle on flaky sea salt before baking.
I know it’s tempting to dive in right away, but the blondies will set up better as they cool. For best results, cool for 1-2 hours before slicing into bars.
More gluten free quick Dessert recipes
- Zucchini Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Oat Flour Cookies with chocolate chips
- Preacher Cookies (Gluten-Free No Bakes)
- Almond Paste Cookies (Italian Almond Macaroons)
Save this recipe gluten-free blondies to your PINTEREST board!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
- 7 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. For easier cutting, line an 8X8 baking pan with a foil sling by folding 2 sheets lengthwise and placing in the pan perpendicular to each other. Press into corners and up sides and then spray with non-stick cooking spray. Alternatively, liberally spray an 8X8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the gluten free flour, salt, and baking powder until no flour pockets remain. Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For best results, let the bars cool for 1-2 hours in the pan before lifting out by the foil handles to cut into bars. Store cooled bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
Best tips / modifications
- Gluten-free blondies recipe may be adapted for a variety of flavors and add-ins. Stir in chopped nuts, peanut butter chips, butterscotch, or white chocolate chips instead, or in addition to, the chocolate.
- For a sweet and salty twist, sprinkle on flaky sea salt before baking.
- I know it’s tempting to dive in right away, but the blondies will set up better as they cool. For best results, cool for 2 hours before slicing into bars.
- For longer storage, wrap bars securely with plastic wrap and place in ziplock freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months.
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.