Sink your teeth into a thick, soft, and chewy treat with easy gluten-free blondies! Blonde brownies are loaded with chocolate chips in every bite and taste so much like the classic recipe, no one will know they are gluten free!
Gluten-free blondie recipe
If you haven’t enjoyed a butterscotch-flavored brownie before, you are in for an epic treat! These blonde brownies, like almond flour blondies, have buttery, crisp edges with an ultra soft and chewy center. Adding chocolate chips gives a classic chocolate chip cookie flavor, but as a thick, soft bar cookie.
I adapted the recipe to make it even easier, using one bowl and a more streamlined processed, but with the same phenomenal results. Like homemade scotcheroos, sugar cookie bars, or banana bars, this is a dessert that will not stick around long!
- Sugar – A combination of light and brown sugars gives the butterscotch flavor. I have not tested the recipe with reducing the sugar or using a sugar-free substitute.
- Gluten-free Flour – I always use and recommend Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour because it does not have a gritty texture and mimics traditional baked goods identically. However, you may also check out this resource for more gluten free flour suggestions.
- Milk – For a gluten free dairy free recipe, swap out the milk for a non-dairy alternative. The milk helps hydrate the starches, eliminating any “sandiness.”
- Chocolate Chips – I love a blondie with chocolate chips, but they may be omitted or use butterscotch chip, milk chocolate, white chocolate chips, or a combination.
How to make Gluten-free blondies
(Note: This is a step-by-step tutorial with pictures. For more specific instructions, along with ingredient amounts, see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.)
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined, then stir in the 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- For easier lifting out of the pan to cut, line an 8X8 baking pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Otherwise, grease the pan and pour batter in. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 325ºF for 50-55 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The bars are done when the top is shiny and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes. Substitute non-dairy milk in the recipe and use dairy-free chocolate chips.
In the mood for gluten-free butterscotch blondies? Simply swap out butterscotch chips for the chocolate chips. Milk chocolate, white chocolate, or a combination may also be added.
Yes. To make blondies in a 9X13 pan simply double the ingredients and bake for about 5 minutes longer.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer storage, wrap bars securely with plastic wrap and place in ziplock freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months.
Best tips / modifications
Gluten-free blondies recipe may be adapted for a variety of flavors and add-ins. Stir in chopped nuts, peanut butter chips, butterscotch, or white chocolate chips instead, or in addition to, the chocolate.
For a sweet and salty twist, sprinkle on flaky sea salt before baking.
I know it’s tempting to dive in right away, but the blondies will set up better as they cool. For best results, cool for 1-2 hours before slicing into bars.
More gluten free quick Dessert recipes
- Zucchini Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Oat Flour Cookies with chocolate chips
- Preacher Cookies (Gluten-Free No Bakes)
- Almond Paste Cookies (Italian Almond Macaroons)
Save this recipe gluten-free blondies to your PINTEREST board!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
- 7 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. For easier cutting, line an 8X8 baking pan with a foil sling by folding 2 sheets lengthwise and placing in the pan perpendicular to each other. Press into corners and up sides and then spray with non-stick cooking spray. Alternatively, liberally spray an 8X8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the gluten free flour, salt, and baking powder until no flour pockets remain. Stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For best results, let the bars cool for 1-2 hours in the pan before lifting out by the foil handles to cut into bars. Store cooled bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND RATE BELOW!
Best tips / modifications
- Gluten-free blondies recipe may be adapted for a variety of flavors and add-ins. Stir in chopped nuts, peanut butter chips, butterscotch, or white chocolate chips instead, or in addition to, the chocolate.
- For a sweet and salty twist, sprinkle on flaky sea salt before baking.
- I know it’s tempting to dive in right away, but the blondies will set up better as they cool. For best results, cool for 2 hours before slicing into bars.
- For longer storage, wrap bars securely with plastic wrap and place in ziplock freezer bag. Freeze up to 3 months.
This post contains affiliate links. My opinions are always my own. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. Read full disclosure policy here.