Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies have naturally gluten free, chewy peanut butter cookies stuffed with bittersweet chocolate ganache and fluffy marshmallow buttercream.
The final leg our recent tour de Midwest spring break trip brought us to an overnighter in Indiana’s Turkey Run State Park.
My kids love visiting Turkey Run for the same reasons I did growing up. The scenic trails take you adventurously walking through creeks, negotiating ladders down cliffs, and darting behind icy waterfalls.
The challenging trails entice them just as much as the open invitation from me to get impossibly dirty and wet. What kid wouldn’t love a complete free for all?
This year marked the first time we took the whole crew. Since the trails can be challenging, we usually leave the younger ones at home so we aren’t held back with our explorations.
Ryan and I decided to give it a go, though, and packed lots of goodies, like these Flourless Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies to bribe them down the path.
Strangely they all hiked for miles and miles everyday without a single complaint. (Full disclosure: Elliot would have a hard time complaining between snoozing in his backpack carrier and relentless mouthfuls of trail treats.)
Ryan and I simply took in the scenery while we watched our kids hoist each other over huge boulders, carry the younger ones across creek beds, build morale during long climbs, and even spontaneously hold hands.
You know those moments as a parent when you wonder, how is it you turned out so much better than me? Growing up, this was not my M.O. with my own siblings.
Even if this trip did inflate us with pride, do not be fooled by our improbable freaks of nature. Plenty of other times they make me wonder, who birthed you and why do you keep hanging around here?
Flourless Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Marshmallow Sandwich Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (not natural)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. heavy cream
Marshmallow Buttercream Filling:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 7 1/2 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together on high speed peanut butter with both sugars until creamy and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add baking soda and salt. Mix again until combined.
- Put about 1/4 cup of sugar into a bowl. Roll dough into balls, about 1 tablespoon for each cookie, and then roll around in bowl of sugar. Place dough balls on prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Use a fork to smash dough balls, creating a criss cross.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, being careful to not overbake. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan heat cream over medium heat until hot and just starts to bubble. Remove from heat and pour in chocolate chips. Let sit for 1-2 minutes and then stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature while you make marshmallow buttercream and allow cookies to cool.
Cream together butter, marshmallow fluff, and powdered sugar on high speed for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and salt, and then mix until very fluffy, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Place heaping teaspoonful of chocolate ganache in center of half the cookies. Once all the chocolate has been divided up between half the cookies, use a small spatula to spread evenly.
- On the other half of cookies place a dollop of marshmallow buttercream on each. Once the buttercream has been divided up, sandwich the two halves together, pressing slightly so buttercream comes to the edge.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON'T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING AND COMMENT BELOW!❉