My family strongly believes Pork Meatloaf is the best meatloaf recipe out there. Ground pork is mixed with shredded apples, apple butter, and oatmeal to make this legendary meatloaf recipe extremely moist and flavorful.
I hold meatloaf in similar regard as I do Brussels sprouts. Formerly, I was not a fan, but I’m officially in the club and singing the praises.
When I was little, though, different story. The words MEAT + LOAF didn’t conjure up a pleasant image for me, and I believed ground meats should stick to the basics – burgers and tacos.
Eventually I grew to love meatloaf and saw it’s merit in being the ultimate comfort food. It’s wholesome, versatile, and the sweet sauce it’s covered in is reason enough to enjoy it.
My kids certainly never held issue with it. The zeal with which they inhale Pork Apple Meatloaf inspires me to make it again and again.
Pork Meatloaf’s extraordinary flavor comes from the sweet and savory combination. Finely shredded apples and apple butter goes perfectly with ground pork, and it’s all smothered in a tangy, finger-licking sauce.
Why use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs in meatloaf?
Ground oats can be used interchangeably with breadcrumbs in meatloaf recipes. Simply replace equal amounts of oatmeal with the amount of breadcrumbs called for.
Be sure to use QUICK OATS oatmeal, rather than whole oats, which will fail to bind the meat. Also, 1/4 cup of quick oats equals one slice of fresh bread.
I prefer using oatmeal in meatloaf because it’s a naturally gluten free binder. Also, I always have it on hand and it’s easy to measure and dump in.
There’s no need to make breadcrumbs or buy a special ingredient!
HOW TO MAKE PORK MEATLOAF
- Peel an apple and shred apples using a cheese grater.
- Mix together glaze ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together ground pork, eggs, oatmeal, apple butter, and seasonings.
- Pour glaze over pork meatloaf and bake until a temperature of 160ºF. (I use a Thermapen Mk4 for the fastest readings.)
What to Serve With Meatloaf:
- potatoes – mashed, Roasted Parmesan Ranch Potatoes, or Salt Potatoes
- veggies – steamed corn, roasted pumpkin spice butternut squash, Bacon Brussels sprouts, Bacon Roasted Green Beans
- Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
SAVE THIS PORK MEATLOAF TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
- For the glaze whisk together chili sauce, apple juice, 2 tablespoons apple butter, vinegar, and dry mustard. Remove 1/3 cup and set both bowls of glazes aside.
- In a large bowl lightly whisk egg and then add 1/4 cup apple butter, shredded apple, beef bouillon, minced onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and oats. Mix well. Add ground pork and mix with wooden spoon or hands until well incorporated. Shape into loaf and place on broiler pan, or in loaf pan. Pour the larger amount of glaze over the loaf (keeping the 1/3 cup still set aside).
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, brush over remaining 1/3 cup of glaze. Return to oven and increase temperature to 400ºF. Bake for 20 minutes more, or until internal temperature reaches 160ºF. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, and then slice for serving.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!
❊SHOP THE RECIPE❊
Items used to make this recipe*:
*contains affiliate links