Roasted green beans and potatoes with bacon turns a classic southern-style recipe into a sheet pan, hands-off side dish! Fresh green beans, yellow or red baby potatoes, onions and bacon are baked together in the oven until golden, crispy, and absolutely divine.
Why you’ll love this Green Beans and Potatoes recipe!
Growing up, my mom made a side dish similar to this, reminiscent of southern green beans. Traditional southern green beans are boiled with red potatoes until very tender and mixed with cooked bacon and onion.
While the veggies are boiling, bacon is fried in a skillet with chopped onion. Then the cooked green beans, potatoes, bacon, and onion are mixed together with the bacon drippings, salt, and pepper.
When I started making it I found it a little cumbersome, especially for a gluten free side dish. I didn’t like boiling the potatoes, timing when to add the beans, and then frying the bacon and onions separately.
Plus no one likes to wash extra dishes! This green beans and potatoes with bacon recipe has the same southern flavors, but without the extra steps, pans, or effort!
How To Make Green Beans and Potatoes
(Below shows step-by-step photos and modified instructions. For the complete recipe, along with ingredient amounts, scroll down to the recipe card.)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. On a rimmed baking sheet place quartered potatoes, chopped raw bacon, and onions. Bake for 20 minutes, rotating halfway.
- Add washed and trimmed fresh green beans. Return to oven for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
best types of potatoes to use
My favorite type of potatoes for roasting are Yukon gold potatoes because they are thin-skinned, similarly sized, and finish with a nice brown and crispy exterior.
Yukon Golds are available everywhere, but other types of waxy potatoes will work just as well if that’s what you have on hand.
Waxy potatoes are any thin-skinned, low-starch potato that holds it shape with boiling or mashing. Common waxy potatoes are Red bliss, fingerling, or white potatoes.
Commonly green beans and potatoes recipes call for baby red (more similarly sized and smaller), Red Bliss, or Yukons. Any of these will work, as long as they are cut into 1-inch cubes.
Do I have to add bacon?
No. If you would like to enjoy potatoes and green beans without bacon, substitute 2 tablespoons of olive oil. For more flavor, replace one of the tablespoons with melted butter.
Green Beans, Potatoes, and Ham
Turn this green beans and potatoes recipe into another classic southern dish! No boil green beans, potatoes, and ham comes together in a few easy steps.
- Combine potatoes, onions, and 2 tablespoons olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a 425ºF oven for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped ham and green beans. Roast another 20 minutes, or until potatoes are browned and crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
Italian style recipe
To make Italian potatoes and green beans, omit the bacon and toss the veggies in large mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Once they have finished roasted, scatter freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top before serving.
More flavor modifications
- Dijon Mustard Sauce: While green beans and potatoes are in the oven, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 2 tablespoons chopped chives. Remove roasted green beans and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and drizzle mustard sauce over. This sauce also pairs well with carrots and apples.
- Pesto: After the roasted veggies come from the oven, season with salt and pepper, and dollop on 2 tablespoons prepared pesto. Stir to combine.
- Parmesan: Remove potatoes and green beans, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan on top.
- Seasonings: Add dried or fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, Italian seasoning, or garlic powder. Alternatively add minced garlic cloves to the vegetables before they roast.
what goes with green beans and potatoes?
Now that you have an easy, sheet pan side dish, what is the perfect main dish dinner recipe to serve with it? Try one of these favorite gluten-free meals!
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
- Rosemary Pork Chops
- Baked Parmesan Tilapia
- Gluten-Free Salisbury Steak
Click here to see the
step-by-step web story instructions for this recipe!
SAVE THIS recipe for Roasted Green Beans and potatoes TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
Let’s be friends on Pinterest! I’m always sharing great recipes!
Sheet Pan Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray. Divide potatoes, onions and bacon (leave out green beans for now) between the sheets.
- To each pan add ½ tablespoon olive oil, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ⅛ tsp pepper. Use your hands to mix everything together then spread out evenly. Divide the bacon and place between potatoes and onions.
- Roast for 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- Remove from oven, and divide green beans between pans. Toss with bacon drippings and spread out evenly. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes and bacon are crisp. Remove from oven and toss with remaining ½ tsp salt and ⅛ tsp pepper.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD