Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars are the best homemade granola bar recipe out there! These addicting granola bars are naturally gluten free, have the essential sweet salty taste, and fuel you up.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
The hardest part of making these delicious bars is melting the butter in the microwave. You’re probably thinking, “Sheesh, melting butter?! I got that in the bag.” Well, sometimes it can be very problematic.
This particular time I made them I put the butter in the microwave, but it did not fully melt. Figuring I would grab it before the time’s up, I hit the “add minute” button.
Then came the inevitable distraction. “Mommy! I’m done pooping! I need help with my pants!”
I ran to the bottom of the stair to whisper/yell up to my 4 year old, “DON’T YELL! THE BABY’S SLEEPING!” Upon climbing the stairs, I discovered nothing less than a basketball-sized wad of toliet paper in the toilet, along with the “kids” he deposited.
There was no way that situation is going down the intended way with a simple flush.
This was a full-on plunger operation, so back downstairs I went to rectify the “situation.” That is when I remembered the melting butter and discovered situation #2.
My intended couple of seconds turned into the full microwave “add minute.” Unfortunately, butter has a tendency to get angry and explode all over your microwave when you forget about it. Nothing like being hit back to back with detours.
Point in case, butter melting can require a lot more concentration than you’d think. I’d like to tell you this is the first time I have exploded butter in my microwave due to interruptions. Unfortunately I don’t see my success rate improving until all the “distractions” have flown the nest.
If I can manage the melting butter part, these chewy chocolate chip peanut butter granola bars are my go to road trip snack. After they cool, I cut them, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and then freeze them in a baggie or container until we are ready to roll out.
During the trip, though, I dish them out sparingly in hopes my kids forget we have them. While they are engrossed in movies is the perfect time to sneakily house them in the front seat. After all, I’m the one who did all the melting/cleaning up butter.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- 1 2/3 cup quick rolled oats
- 2/3 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup oat flour* or coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts**
- 1/2 cup coconut**
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries**
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds**
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips**
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line an 9X13" pan in one direction with foil or parchment, allowing paper to be long enough to lift out of pan. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients, including oats, rice cereal, brown sugar, sugar, oat or coconut flour, salt, nuts, coconut, dried cranberries, and chocolate chips.
- In another microwave-safe bowl melt butter. After butter is completed melted add peanut butter, vanilla, corn syrup, honey, and water to warm butter. Stir until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredient bowl and stir to combine. Press down into prepared baking pan.
- Bake bars 20-25 minutes, until gold brown around edges. Cool completely.
- Lift parchment and bars from pan place on a cutting board. Slide bars off of parchment and cut into bars. Wrap bars individually in plastic wrap and place in airtight container or ziplock bag. Can also freeze bars and remove as needed.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON'T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING AND COMMENT BELOW!❉