Made from scratch, yet quick and easy, Tamale Pie is an old school casserole with layers of seasoned beef or chicken, cornbread, and melted cheese.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- 1/3 cup milk
- 14.75 ounce can cream style corn
Tamale Pie Filling:
- 1 pound lean ground beef, such as sirloin
- 10 ounce can enchilada sauce, (read label to make sure it's gluten free)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
optional toppings: additional salsa, cilantro, sour cream, and sliced avocado
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a cast iron skillet with butter or spray a pie plate, 11X7 pan, or 9X9 pan with cooking spray.
Whisk together cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg, melted butter, milk, and cream style corn. Whisk to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and decrease oven temperature to 375ºF.
Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cornbread surface. Pour 1/2 can enchilada sauce on top and spread evenly over cornbread. Set aside.
While cornbread is baking, begin to make filling. In a large skillet brown beef over medium high heat and drain, if necessary. To the browned beef stir in remaining enchilada sauce, salsa, and chili powder. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until thickened.
Spread beef filling over cornbread. Top with cheese and return to 375ºF oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Serve with additional salsa, cilantro, sour cream, and sliced avocado.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD❉
How to Make Chicken Tamale Pie
- Use 2 cups shredded chicken to replace the ground beef. (Either cover 3/4 pound chicken breasts with water and boil for 15 minutes or cook in Instant Pot for 6 minutes with 1 cup water.)
- Bake cornbread, poke with holes, and pour over half enchilada sauce.
- Combine shredded chicken, chili powder, salsa, and remaining enchilada sauce in a bowl.
- Layer chicken mixture on cornbread, top with cheese, and bake at 375ºF for 15 minutes.
Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1086mg | Potassium: 616mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 965IU | Vitamin C: 3.7mg | Calcium: 267mg | Iron: 2.8mg