Smashed Potatoes Recipe
Smashed Potatoes recipe is an easy take on Pioneer Woman's popular recipe. Creamy red potatoes are crushed, drizzled with a toasted browned butter, and baked up to gloriously crispy and brown in the oven.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 pounds red or gold potatoes, about 1 1/2"-2" diameter
- 3/4 cup salt, for boiling salt potatoes (trust me, it makes them ultra creamy inside)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
In a large pot place 3/4 cup of salt and fill about halfway with warm water. Stir water to dissolve salt. Add washed, WHOLE potatoes to pot. Add more water to cover potatoes.
Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a small skillet melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is fully melted watch carefully and stir occasionally so butter doesn't burn. First the butter will foam, then the milk solids will start to settle at the bottom. Watch for the milk solids to turn brown. Once that happens, immediately remove from heat. TIP: Pour browned butter into a bowl so it doesn't cook more and burn from residual heat of pan.
Place cooked, drained potatoes on a large baking sheet. Pour browned butter over the top, salt, pepper, and toss to coat potatoes. Use the bottom of a cup, fork, or potato masher to "smash" potatoes.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until potatoes are crispy and golden. If desired, season potatoes with additional salt and pepper.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD❉
Other Ways to Prepare Smashed Potatoes Recipe
- After baking, sprinkle with cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes
- After butter is browned, stir in 3-4 cloves of minced garlic.Drizzle garlic butter over crushed red potatoes and bake.
- Try Loaded Smashed Potatoes – sprinkle with cheddar cheese, chopped bacon, chives, and dollop with sour cream
- Top with pesto and mozzarella
- Salt and Vinegar – drizzle with a splash of vinegar and kosher salt
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 892mg | Potassium: 687mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1.1mg