Quick Cheese Bread
Quick Cheese Bread is a savory cheddar loaf bread that easily mixes up in minutes without yeast or kneading! This cheesy bread is perfect for dunking in a warm bowl of soup, toasted with jam, or to fill with your favorite sandwich fixings.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or gluten free all-purpose flour (Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour is recommended)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (4 ounces) extra sharp cheddar, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (divided), freshly grated
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk*
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray or butter a 8 1/2 loaf pan and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir in grated cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, reserving rest for topping.
In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk or soured milk*, egg, and melted butter. Pour into flour mixture and stir until no dry flour remains, until just combined.
Transfer bread dough into prepared baking pan. Smooth down evenly and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD❉
*Substitute for Buttermilk
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, save yourself a trip to the store. It can easily be made at home in five minutes!
- Pour 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup.
- Add milk until you have 1 cup total liquid.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes, stir, and then use.
Cooks' Tips for Making Quick Cheese Bread
- The recipe calls for using an 8 1/2" loaf pan. A larger bread pan may be used but the loaf will cook faster and not be as domed.
- Quick Cheese Bread calls for extra sharp cheddar, which helps that cheddar flavor shine through. Medium cheddar will yield a much more subtle flavor. Other cheeses, such as pepper jack, mozzarella, or swiss may be substituted also.
- Be sure to mix flour until just no flour pockets remain and batter is fully moistened. Over mixing makes a denser, tougher crumb.
- I prefer using freshly grated block cheese because it's cheaper and it doesn't contain cellulose, which coats shredded cheese to keep it from sticking together.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 255mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Calcium: 281mg | Iron: 1.5mg