Bacon Cornbread is a southern-style cornbread recipe with maple syrup, crispy bacon mixed in the cornbread and on top, and baked in an iron skillet.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 8 slices Smithfield Bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, regular or gluten free
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
optional: more maple syrup for drizzling
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lay bacon either directly on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy clean up) or fit a metal rack over the foil-lined baking sheet and lay the raw bacon on the rack.
Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until bacon is to desired crispiness. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease for greasing iron skillet. Transfer cooked bacon to paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Push dry ingredients to the sides of the bowl, so you have a well in the middle. Add maple syrup, eggs, milk, and butter. Stir to combine.
Chop 4 slices of Smithfield Bacon and add to cornbread mixture. Stir to combine. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
Use reserved bacon grease to grease iron skillet. Alternatively grease an 8X8 baking dish. Pour cornbread batter into prepared pan.
Chop remaining 4 slices of bacon and sprinkle on top of batter. Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out without wet batter. Cut into wedges and serve with additional maple syrup for drizzling on top.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
Tips / Tricks / Variations For Making Bacon Cornbread
- Use an 8X8 baking dish instead of an iron skillet. Grease with cooking spray or bacon grease.
- To make Bacon Maple Cornbread Muffins: Line a muffin tin with liners. Fill each cup 2/3 fill. Top with chopped bacon and bake 400ºF for 15-20 minutes. Drizzle muffins with maple syrup for serving.
- Give Bacon Cornbread a kick by adding fresh minced jalapeño.
- To add more maple flavor add 1 teaspoon of maple extract.
- Substitute equal amount of sugar or brown sugar for maple syrup
- Add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese to the cornbread mixture when stirring in bacon. Top cornbread with additional 1/2 cheddar cheese before baking.
Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 343mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1.4mg