Mexican Chicken Casserole
Easy Mexican Chicken Casserole combines the best parts of taco night into an easy, family favorite mexican casserole bake.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa (16 ounce jar)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen (and thawed) or canned corn
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups lightly crushed tortilla chips or Doritos, (about 6 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
toppings: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green onion, avocado, sour cream, cilantro
In large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté pepper and onion until almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
Add chicken to the skillet and cook 4-5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink on outside (chicken will finish cooking through later). Stir in taco seasoning.
Add rice, salsa, and chicken broth back to skillet. Bring to boil, cover, turn heat down and simmer for 22 minutes. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Remove lid (there may still be liquid on top, but once mixture is stirred the extra liquid will be absorbed). Stir in beans, corn, sour cream, and cilantro. Remove from heat.
In a 9X13 pan layer half of the chicken mixture, top with half of the chips, and half of the cheese. Repeat layer with second half. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is hot throughout.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
Variations for Mexican Casserole:
- Substitute one pound of lean ground beef or turkey for the chicken for a more traditional taco flavor.
- Make it HEALTHY: Lighten the dish by using light sour cream, reduced-fat cheese, and baked tortilla chips.
- Instead of tortilla chips use your favorite flavor of Doritos chips
- Cut up flour or corn tortillas to replace the chips (this will also make it more healthy)
- VEGETARIAN Mexican Casserole: Use an additional pepper and extra cup of corn to replace the meat.
Calories: 600kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1468mg | Potassium: 998mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1615IU | Vitamin C: 29.2mg | Calcium: 365mg | Iron: 3.4mg