How to Cook the Best Grits Ever
How to Make the Best Grits Ever is a recipe for no fail, creamy grits and so much more! Learn how to make grits step by step, variations for changing up the recipe, what to eat with grits, and lots of tricks and tips. Whether you're a fan of cheese, basic, spicy, or thick and creamy grits, I'll show you how!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- dash pepper
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
Bring water, milk, salt, and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and slowly stir in grits. Bring to a simmer and stir frequently for 5-7 minutes, or until grits are thick and creamy.
Reduce heat to low and add butter, ricotta, and parmesan. Stir until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Serve immediately.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
Tips / Tricks / Variations
- This recipe can also be made with Quick Cooking Polenta.
- How thick your grits should be is entirely preference. If you like them runnier, add more milk towards the end of cooking. If thicker grits are your thing, cook them a little longer to absorb the water / milk.
- Make sure to salt the water before whisking in the grits. Grits don't absorb a lot of the seasoning after cooking, so it's better to add it before.
- If you don't have ricotta cheese, try swapping in cream cheese. You can also substitute cheddar, Colby, or pepper jack for the parmesan cheese. Play around with it depending on what you are serving with it.
- To reheat grits in the microwave: Heat at 50% power, stirring occasionally until they begin to warm and loosen. Add a little milk and stir. Finish heating at full power, stirring occasionally.
- To reheat grits on the stove: Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the begin to warm and loosen. Add a little milk and stir. Finish heating, raising the heat slightly, and continue stirring.
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 663mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Calcium: 285mg | Iron: 10.2mg