Salt Potatoes, also known as Syracuse potatoes, have an insanely creamy texture inside because of the amount of salt they’re boiled in. Yet, they are perfectly seasoned and heavenly tasting with drizzled melted butter poured on top.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 4 pounds small red or yellow potatoes (about 1 1/2" diameter), whole, not cut or pierced
- 1 cup salt, table salt or kosher
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- chopped parsley, optional
In a large pot (about 4.5 quart) place 1 cup of salt and fill with 3 cups warm water. Stir water to dissolve salt. Add washed, WHOLE potatoes to pot. Add about 3 additional cups of water to cover potatoes.
Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Drain, pour melted butter over potatoes. Serve with chopped parsley, if desired.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD❉
How To Make Salt Potatoes in Instant Pot
How To Make Baked Salt Potatoes In the Oven
- Add 1 cup of salt with 6 cups of water to pressure cooker. Stir and add potatoes.
- Lock lid in place and cook at HIGH pressure for 1 minutes. Natural release 10 minutes, then quick release.
- Drain and pour melted butter over top.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Wash, dry potatoes, and place in a single layer on a rimmed baking pan.
- Pour about 1 1/2 - 2 cups kosher salt over the potatoes so they are nestled in the salt.
- Bake until tender, about 1 hour depending on size of potatoes (this can also be done with larger, russet or sweet potatoes).
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 1822mg | Potassium: 1032mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 147IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg