Socca (or farinata), made from chickpea flour, is a gluten free, vegan recipe that uses 5 ingredients and can be made in minutes for pizza, snack, or bread.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for cooking
Whisk chickpea flour, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Whisk in water and 3 tablespoons olive oil until combined and smooth. The batter will be thin and runny.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in non-stick 8 inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add 1/2 cup batter to the skillet, tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until crisp at edges and golden brown on bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Flip socca and continue to cook until second side is browned about 2 minutes more.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool or 200º oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter and oil.
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD❉
Cooks tips for making Socca
- Authentic socca / farinata recipes have the batter to rest 30 minutes up to overnight for the chickpea flour to hydrate. I've tried it this way, but I don't notice a huge difference with cooking immediately.
- Make sure skillet and oil are HOT before pouring in batter.
- When the edges are set and middle starts to bubble, it's time to flip.
- Making socca on a griddle or 8" fry pan.
- To make farinata or a large socca pizza crust preheat oven to 400ºF. Place a generously oiled 10" or 12" cast iron skillet on the stovetop and heat over medium high heat. Once skillet is hot, pour in all the batter. Immediately transfer pan to oven and bake approximately 30 minutes, or until set. Top can be broiled if bottom is burning before top sets.
How to Make Socca / Farinata Pizza
Adapted from The How Can it Be Gluten Free Cookbook
- Place cooked farinata on a piece of parchment paper and assemble toppings and cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to 500ºF with a pizza stone inside. (If you don't have a pizza stone, a cast iron skillet may be used, but be careful transferring the pizza inside!)
- Once the oven and stone are hot, place parchment with assembled socca pizza on top (I use a pizza peel to easily slide it on), and bake for 5-7 minutes.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 492mg | Potassium: 304mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1.8mg