Gluten Free Biscuits
Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits recipe taste so amazing, no one even suspects they are gluten free! These fluffy gluten free biscuits are made with simple ingredients you have right in your kitchen. This recipe is easy to throw together, plus offers tips and variations so they come out perfect every time.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour blend (I always use Cup 4 Cup gluten free flour)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice (I've substituted vinegar for this with good results)
Whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add the butter to the mixture cut in with a pastry blender, fork, or fingers until small, pea-size pieces remain.
In a separate bowl whisk together yogurt, egg, oil, and lemon juice. Stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture until no flour pockets remain. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes to allow the starches to blend with the liquids and make the dough easier to shape. Preheat oven to 450ºF
Place one baking sheet inside a second so you have a double layer, and line the top baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease a 1/3 cup measuring cup and scoop a heaping amount of batter into it. Drop on prepared baking sheet, spacing the biscuits only about 1/2 inch apart in the center of the sheet (this traps a little extra steam between the biscuits and makes them more tender).
Bake until golden, about 15 minutes, watching carefully and rotating pan 1/2 way through.
Place baking sheet on wire rack and cool for 5-10 minutes before serving
❉DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!❉
Tips and Tricks for Making Gluten Free Biscuits
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen: The How Can it Be Gluten Free Cookbook
- You can substitute sour cream for the yogurt with great results. I've also substituted vanilla yogurt without affecting the taste.
- If you don't have lemon juice on hand, substitute any variety of vinegar.
- Increase the sugar to 3 tablespoons for a gluten free shortcake recipe. Brushing the unbaked tops with cream, milk, or almond milk and sprinkle with demura or raw sugar. Bake according to directions.
- See how to turn these biscuits into copycat Gluten Free Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits!
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 254mg | Potassium: 372mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 164mg | Iron: 2mg